• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Merc. Dime

16 posts in this topic

It would be close, I think. The middle bands appear to have some flatness, but appear fully split and uninterrupted. Depending on the service, and how they choose to interpret the standard that day, the bands need to be rounded to count as FB.

However, they look pretty close to me.

Are you trying to view it from a computer or your cell phone? If it is a computer try refreshing the page to see if the picture shows.

I used to build and service computers for a living so I have checked every possible reason but still have no clue. Like I said, I can see any other photo, just not the one for this post... strange.....

Check out collective coin I have it posted there....that is where I pulled it from to paste here....OOPS scratch that I must have pulled it off CC....I got the picture at work so will try to post on CC Monday

Check out collective coin I have it posted there....that is where I pulled it from to paste here....OOPS scratch that I must have pulled it off CC....I got the picture at work so will try to post on CC Monday
thanks, I went out to look at your pics, and I can't agree more that the proof libertad is one of the most beautiful modern silver proofs out there. It's too bad we have state of the art everything in this country and the finest mint in the world, yet we still can't come up with an original design. I'm tired of all the copies of coins from the past- if I want them, I'll buy the originals. Nice collection my friend!

ps- USA Coin Book already has well over ten thousand members and can be set up so that your collection is viewable *or* sellable, or some of each. It allows you to move each coin back and forth from selling or just showing with a couple clicks of the mouse and it allows ten photos of each coin. I put my extra half eagles out there and within about ten days I had nearly ten thousand dollars worth of sales. Don't know if that is sustainable but it sure is encouraging. You can find it at usacoinbook.com

OK, I looked again and now I see the photo- must have loaded too slowly and I gave up too soon. Now that I can see the pic, I'd say FSB without blinking an eyelash. In the old days when I collecting these there were two designations- FSB and full rounded bands, which denoted a fully struck up coin, a first strike before the die wore out in that area. I also wanted to mention that I have run into a lot of these with the bands altered to appear split, even found one that the artist carved the bands to make them look fully rounded. Put a 10 to 20x diamond loup on it if you're not sure before you buy a raw coin. (in fact, maybe even slabbed ones- some graders aren't aware that this is going on and could easily be fooled if they didn't look closer) Yours is a later strike but still well defined so I'd guess they'll give it the FSB desig. Good luck!