• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

could ebay institute a "law"on certification slabs!!

9 posts in this topic

just some food for thought...

it seem's that a thread across the street posted one ebay seller "stealing" other seller's photo's for their own auction's.

In other words,one seller selling a...say a NGC ms67RD Lincoln cent with the picture of the holder, but actually it is not the same coin he is selling!

I guess, I'm just saying that the seller has to stipulate (via Ebay) that the cert.# be in the description along with the photo of the slabbed coin!

Your thought's and opinion's very welcomed.

Thank's

Rob

I agree that all coin auctions should have a picture of the actual coin being sold. However, the slab thing is a different issue. Just remember the grading is extremely subjective with a myriad of varying factors, thus the grading company is not always right. I think the grade and which grading company slabbed the coin should also be included. However, I also like personal opinions from the seller on the grade. Just my opinion.

This seems to have become a bigger issue lately, and it's why I always ask the seller specifically if the coin pictured is the one for sale. Just last week, I was looking at a Saint on eBay and the title stated it was an NTC cert, but the photo was an ANACS cert. Given that I trust ANACS a little more than NTC, I considered bidding, but asked the seller first if the coin pictured was the one for sale, and sure enough, he said that was a picture of another coin he already sold, and he didn't have a picture of the actual coin for sale. It's buyer beware, so always ask the seller before you place the bid!

I think eBay has a rule that if you sell more than 10 of same thing you can't list them individually. I bought five certified coins out of dutch auctions lately and got great deals.

jtryka

It's great that you posted your situation so others could see it, I guess for me, hoping other's will read this thread, and learn, and inform other's....bottomline is buyer beware!!!!

Rob

I feel that if a coin is listed on eBay and a photo is posted with the auction it should be of the actual coin being auctioned.

It seems to me that there are really only two ways to think about this,

(1) If a seller posts a photo of a coin that is not the actual coin and does not inform bidders in the description that this is not the actual coin being auctioned, this is deceptive at best and in some cases outright fraud. mad.gif

(2) If the seller does inform the bidders that it is not the actual coin, what good is the photo? You have no way of knowing what you are really bidding on. confused.gif

John