• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty sure AT

AT?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. AT?

20 posts in this topic

Regardless if it is AT or Market Acceptable, that's one unattractive coin. The huge finger print together with the terminal black toning on the obverse would keep me VERY far away from that thing.

But, it has a desireable piece of plastic around it and a straight grade, right? Don't collectors mostly buy grades and slabs, not coins?

I am not sure how much I say that in jest or seriousness. It graded straight and is good to go, right?

When you pay up for color there is a very good chance of a big loss when time to sell.

It's happened to me with several coins.

Ah.....Revick.

Looks similar, but not exact, to a MS63 that I sold him last year. I don't think it is the same as the one I sold him (PCGS...crossed from PCI) had a telltale market that, unless it was worked on, would stand out and identify the coin.

That said, he has some coins I would buy, and many I wouldn't, having seen many of the coins in person when he sets up at a show.

I will leave it at that.

AT all the way.

The last time I went to a major coin show (summer 2015, Long Beach) I was AMAZED at the number of AT coins in PCGS and NGC slabs. It seems like they really don't care anymore. I've seen lots of slabbed coins on the (major coin) Boards with people ooohing and ahhhhing about them, when it is fairly brain dead obvious the coins are AT.

At the end of the day, buy what YOU think is real. As a Franklin collector for ~ 30 years, I've definitely noticed a lot of Frankies slabbed in the last 5 years that IMO do NOT have colors/patterns consistent with what I've seen with my own eyes over this timespan for the given date/mm.

The last time I went to a major coin show (summer 2015, Long Beach) I was AMAZED at the number of AT coins in PCGS and NGC slabs. It seems like they really don't care anymore. I've seen lots of slabbed coins on the (major coin) Boards with people ooohing and ahhhhing about them, when it is fairly brain dead obvious the coins are AT.

I agree. I have seen several Peace Dollars and silver Washington Quarters that I also thought were AT or at least questionable in problem free slabs as of late. Modern proof coins have also been a huge target. For some reason, I have noticed them more in those series than others.

With regards to the coin in the OP, it is hard to tell how much of what we are seeing might be the result of juiced images. If the coin looks like that in hand, I do not think it is original. And even if it were wholly original, I do not find it remotely attractive.

At the end of the day, buy what YOU think is real. As a Franklin collector for ~ 30 years, I've definitely noticed a lot of Frankies slabbed in the last 5 years that IMO do NOT have colors/patterns consistent with what I've seen with my own eyes over this timespan for the given date/mm.

Interesting. About 20 years ago a dealer got into big time trouble with other dealers (and probably PCGS) when he said pretty much the same thing at a seminar at one of the ANAs. He was also interviewed by Maurice Rosen in his newsletter and mentioned he got death threats due to his seminar.

Basically what he was saying that many coins he had collected for years all of a sudden were showing up with wild colors in legit slabs. Patterns he'd never seen before etc etc. He showed a bunch of coins in PCGS and NGC slabs and explained why the coins were AT. Many "industry" leaders didn't like this I guess. Like I said this was 22 years ago I believe (1994).

So I guess the more things change ("precision" grading and CAC and all of the other bs) the more it stays the same.

jom

I voted 'natural', but admit it could have been AT helped. The coin looks like it had 2 different toning types/sources which is not typical. Some people that AT coins, start with a toned coin and 'improve' it, which may be what happened with this coin. Another possibility is that it could have toned for 20-30 years in a holder/album and then got put into another holder/envelope.

Anyway I suspect the colors pop and are even more vivid than what could be imaged with pictures. A coin like that would be cool to see on a video, rolling to show the luster and colors.

1962-D toned Franklins are very tough to find! This coin's toning is very interesting. The rims look NT. It is the splotchiness of the centers of each side that look AT, particularly the obverse. When you have a coin with NT and AT qualities, I usually say AT, and that is what I voted here. I want to say the coin had nice NT rims and then the centers were helped along.

All that being said it is in a PCGS MS64 graded holder. Price realized is strong, but not moon money. You have to realize how rare the 1962-D issue is with nice toning. As long as it gets PCGS blessing as NT, that is all that matters to some collectors.

When you pay up for color there is a very good chance of a big loss when time to sell.

It's happened to me with several coins.

Depends on how quickly you need to sell, and if you get your coins in front of the right collectors. But certainly a greater chance exists the more you pay up.