• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hetty Green's dough

15 posts in this topic

After reading about Hetty Green's currency collection, I'm puzzled about the Col. Green notes being sold at face value in 1937. I can understand Mr. Wade having interest in the sale. Do you think he actually ended up with any for his own collection ? Could he have exchanged currency for some of those rare notes before they were sold or did he just want to see his own collection become more valuable. Roger ?

Hetty Green did not have a coin or currency collection. Any insinuation that she did is false. Col. Green acquired his coins and most of the stamps after his mother's death.

I do not know Mr. Wade's motivation for his actions, but he certainly benefited.

Hetty Green did not abuse employees - except her son - and was often understanding when a creditor had a good reason for being late with payments. But, she did not bend to crooks, fakers and people who were not honest with her. She was resented by other wealthy finance types because she was female, often better then they were, and was not ostentatious.

Leona H's only good aspect was being a tyrant -- from there her ethical and social values decline.

a female that stood her ground and was smart as well. nothing wrong with that rwb, just saying :)

I agree with your comments Johnny.

One can only imagine the difficulty Hetty had with the opposite sex. IMO, it took strong intestinal fortitude to do what she did. I congratulate her for her success in a male dominated society.

Hetty's family background was whaling; can you imagine how she would have reacted to the idea of people getting excited over coin and currency designs? Just read some of the great whaling books, Moby D*ck is the great American novel full of great and energetic productivity, etc.. She lived during the greatest era of coin and currency production, but I doubt she gave the money a second look.

a female that stood her ground and was smart as well. nothing wrong with that rwb, just saying :)

One can only imagine the difficulty Hetty had with the opposite sex. IMO, it took strong intestinal fortitude to do what she did. I congratulate her for her success in a male dominated society.

It certainly didn't help the negative perception walking around looking like the wicked witch of the East.

It certainly didn't help the negative perception walking around looking like the wicked witch of the East.

lmao, i guess thats what it took :)

She dressed simply and mostly in black and dark blue. This was part of her lack of ostentation and she didn't care what others thought, but other wealthy folks viewed her as demeaning to their money and "class."

There are modern examples, but they are much less the object of media attention than 19th century gossip.

She dressed simply and mostly in black and dark blue. This was part of her lack of ostentation and she didn't care what others thought, but other wealthy folks viewed her as demeaning to their money and "class."

There are modern examples, but they are much less the object of media attention than 19th century gossip.

It took strong intestinal fortitude to view her........ :banana:

There are some other modern examples of the method of personal presentation. Most have the good fortune of modern pharma to assist, legal and illegal. :banana:

From what I read she was not a hoarder in the disorder sense. Hoarding real valuables is not so bad. Maybe her clothing was functional? As a Quaker she must have believed that a strict economy of life is desirable, and you would think that her clothing and hygiene would reflect that.

I'm sure I'm the only one on this board who has staying at the Hetty Green Motel in Bellows Falls, VT. It is like a time warp from the past, and I don't recommend it.