• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

purchaseing raw coinage, where, from who???????????????????? *DELETED*

5 posts in this topic

If it was me, I wouldn't buy raw $2 1/2 or $5 Indian Gold coins. There are a lot of very deceptive counterfeits floating around. IMO most dealers can't grade these things very well, and they certainly don't know where to look for the tooling marks etc. I wish I could help but I don't know of anyone on the internet I would buy raw gold from. I would only buy raw gold where I could actually look at the coin being sold...

I am not a big fan of Indian half or quarter eagles, both asthetically or from a grading standpoint (I find them almost impossible to grade!), and given the number of counterfeits I've seen, I would be very wary about buying raw. If I did though, it would be from a dealer that I know and trust very well, so at the very least I would have a foundation to know the coin is genuine! I would only buy such coins in person also. If you don't have such a dealer nearby, I could only suggest trying some of the larger dealers on-line/mail order that have solid no-question return policies, and keep trying them until you find one that grades fairly and you begin to build that level of trust. I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but it's all I got!