• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photography

7 posts in this topic

Just received 2nd edition copy of Mark Goodman's 'Numismatic Photography' and boy is it loaded with useable goodies. Thanks for the tip from several of you.

Goodman book is the starting point, I could not have done it without his book. Still learning after 1000s of shots and many times going back to his book to study some more. Sometimes one can do okay, the one below is not bad but not perfect.

Best, HT

1825.qtr.P50.CAC_zpskmxkb8k8.jpg

Well, it helps if you start out with an exceptional coin, HT. When the coin looks that good, it isn't hard ;)

Just kidding, of course - but both the coin and picture are superb.

You are absolutely right Jason, a big part of the battle in getting great images is having a coin that will image well. Some coins are just so easy to image like the one I show above. FWIW, I have a heck of a time getting great images for most indian cents and I have no idea why... (shrug)

So learning how to take images and learning to recognize which coins image well will help one to be better at selecting gorgeous examples. Coins that don't image well, well, in some or many cases, there is a reason for that. hm

Here is another one that just gushes eye appeal making it so easy to image - I am cherry picking the easy ones here. (thumbs u

Best, HT

1857-D.2.5D.PCGS.AU58.CAC_zpsefg98f4k.jpg