• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another toning question...

9 posts in this topic

Okay, I was very curious about this 1958 mint set; but was hesitant to commit to bid on this item as I am not a natural at understanding natural toning.

Appears to be a nice set; however, my red flag is a possible overlay with artificial on natural. I've purchased type sets in past that were housed in plastic and they display the various hues in regards to the peripheral toning such as on this particular item.

Question: can an item folded in paper / cardboard for "X" amount of years produce a nice rainbow effect such as this or does it need a bit of coaxing? Just curious on thoughts...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381534561612?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The 1957's and 1958's occasionally have similar toning. I would be more concerned about the lighting angles. That seller brings out the best in coins and you need lighting just right to get that pop.

The images aren't the best, but the toning looks natural to me.

Additionally, 1958 mint set coins are probably as or more likely than any other date to be found with attractive or rainbow colors.

Very interesting and good to know for future decisions in regards to '58 and '57 mint sets. I understand that '58 was the last year that the mint produced these sets in cardboard and has the highest mintage at 50,314, followed by '55 at 49,656, and '56 at 45,475. Source "A Guide Book of United States Coins."

Would it be safe to infer that the higher mintage sets would have a greater frequency of natural toned coins, or, are there other factors that play into this that has to do with the packaging and environment at time they were packaged.

I looked a bit online to see if there were any books on the subject of toned coins, and didn't have any luck- found some good articles but nothing with in depth knowledge on this growing subject. If any of you know of any books on toned coins would be interested to know.

Thanks,

Rich

...Would it be safe to infer that the higher mintage sets would have a greater frequency of natural toned coins, or, are there other factors that play into this that has to do with the packaging and environment at time they were packaged...

IMO it has more to do with the packaging and environment at the time they were packaged. Yes, 1957 and 1958 mint sets (and I'd add 1956) were produced in larger numbers than preceding years, but a higher percentage of overall nice toning look seems to be much more common during these years. The last time I checked (several years ago) 1958-D NGC starred Franklins composed roughly 40% of ALL NGC starred Franklins.

Also, even though the coins were minted in the same year and put in the same mint set, when you look at a lot of 1956 - 1958 mint sets you'll notice that the P mint coins tend to have a blue tone, while the D mint coins tend to have much more reds and greens which clearly speaks to the packaging and environment of the two Mints at that time IMO.

The set looks natural to me. Still at that price I would not be pleased with the fact that the set is missing the envelope.

The best coins from these double mint sets are often the source for the high grade Mint State silver coins from the late '40 and '50s. Quite often the best coins are taken from these sets, and substitute coins are pushed in the holes to replace them. This 1958 set could be totally original.