• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Artificial Toning?

16 posts in this topic

Possibly. But the coin is heavily polished regardless.

I think the toning is probably natural. And I am not convinced that the coin has been polished.

Obvious problem. Its not TPGraded. Just try it.

Why now is a coin an obvious problem just because it isn't 3PG'd? I think the toning is natural, and I also don't think it would make sense to pay the grading fee on that, it's a low MS grade common date Morgan with toning that probably isn't ever going to command much of a premium

I'd say the toning looks natural. The pictures do make the coin look like the surfaces are not natural however. That's one you need to see in hand no matter who graded it.

It appears to be properly toned, but the appearance of the surface as depicted by the photos concerns me.

I have no comment on polishing. I have seen this pattern of toning many times and it always seemed to be in silver dollars and halves stored in old square coin tubes that coincidentally happened to be stored in old cigar boxes. The dark color was invariably a purplish and dark violet blue and a slight sea foam colored delineation. I have more than a few. I have some that are freakishly square patterned and it always seemed that the pattern had a slight perforation appearance somewhere on the square, as if a stamp was on top for a long time. A long time collector, in his 90s now but still very spry and alert and still collecting, once told me that some early generation collectors would put a stamp between the coins,so they would not ding and rub each other and stay more "pristine".

Coin appears fully proof like. I really think it would be certified by now if it didn't have rub. Benefits of certification and verification are multifold and should not be ignored. Maybe its just me ?

To me this Morgan looks 'cooked'

The reason being, the high heat applied was transferred through the raised rim, by chance or deliberate to make it appear as though it was album toned.

Pass as fast as you can.

Looks AT to me. The colors go in a proper progression and okay pattern. However, the versions of these colors look too bright like the toning process was sped up. The color appears to float which is a sign of AT. Look at how it is smattered on top of the lettering.

Looks AT to me. The colors go in a proper progression and okay pattern. However, the versions of these colors look too bright like the toning process was sped up. The color appears to float which is a sign of AT. Look at how it is smattered on top of the lettering.

The brightness could easily be the result of the lighting. And I have seen a good number of NGC and PCGS coins with toning and patterns that looked very similar.

The brightness could easily be the result of the lighting. And I have seen a good number of NGC and PCGS coins with toning and patterns that looked very similar.

I have seen a good number of PCGS and NGC coins with toning and patterns that looked like this and are labeled AT or Questionable Color.

I have become great at interpreting images of coins online, especially when it comes to toning. I make part of my living at it, if you must know. I scour raw coins at shows and on eBay for coins that look NT. I try to get them graded and am right most of the time.

Coin doctors can get the color progression right, I have never seen 'album toning', which this is trying to emulate, not be circular. I can't imagine any process where by such a pattern would emerge (square containers - maybe as noted earlier in the thread (?)) - you see coins graded that have un-natural patterns as well, not too many of these get the bean even when looking good, so many/some informed numismatists would suspect those and this one as human enhanced. Also, the toning seems to disappear at the rims and begins a bit beyond the rims mostly, if the toning agent is beyond the rims or just at it, why would this be? I would run from this coin quickly.

Best, HT