• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 55 Year Journey of Coin Collecting part 4 of 20 posted by danny0603

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Pre-EBAY- Bid Boards

In the 70's I continued collecting coins. Our local coin dealer would have a bid board and every week would attach a file card to about 20 coins. People could write their bids and the "auction" would close at 2:00 pm every Saturday afternoon. This is the way I purchased coins long before EBAY was around.

I had purchased a 10" x 12" Type Coin plastic holder from Capitol Plastics. My goal was to bid on and fill all of the holes in the holder. (Goal accomplished)

In the meantime I ended up with over 100 excess coins a sample of which are depicted here.

I have a question for all of you experts (because I am new to NGC). What criteria does one use to decide to send coins in for grading? I would hate to pay to have these coins graded if the cost is more than the worth.

Thanks for looking and sharing your expertise.

17217.jpeg

See more journals by danny0603

SO, the only coin in that photo that looks worthy of certification is the 1913 Nickel, the rest would not gain any value from being in plastic (graded). Given they have been in flips for so long there is the danger of PVC. But the nickel is the best. To send the others would be a waste of money

I completely remember those bid boards from our local coins shops here in SLC. It was a great, (and; of course, was a great way for them to get folks to go back to the shop each week)... I'll have to stop in and see if they still do it!

I'd be interested in your Walking Liberty... Shoot me a personal message...

"What criteria does one use to decide to send coins in for grading? I would hate to pay to have these coins graded if the cost is more than the worth."...

Good question... At a minimum, the coin's gotta be worth the cost of slabbing, shipping, insurance, etc. (figure $20 approximately)... Anything below that in the actual coin value is not worth submitting, (unless you literally just NEEDED it slabbed for a Registry Set).

Otherwise, it's all dependent on grade or re-sale ability. Coins sell a lot easier and for a higher premium most often when they're certified.

Absolutely LOVING your story thread. I'm a subscriber!

Van