• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remembering the Standing Lib. Quarter Guy Mr. JH Cline

3 posts in this topic

From his formal top hat to being the foremost seller of the two bit coin, he will be missed.

I bought this coin at the Long Beach show in 2010 from Mr Cline. Although not a standout even one of the weakest coins in the set and I paid a premium to it "buy from the master" it was well worth the experience. He was willing to talk with me when, at the time, I had not yet read his book and did not have a good knowledge of Standing Liberty Quarters (SLQ). As you can see he was also willing to autograph the slab (see the reverse photo). He was a kind man who had true passion for what I think is our finest coin. It is sad that he just missed the 2016 tribute to the coins of 1916. The US Mint plans to make gold versions of the Half Dollar (Lib Walking or Walker) the Quarter (Lib Standing or SLQ) and the Dime (Winged Liberty or Mercury). I will miss him and I will never sell the coin (regardless of score.)

Set Link http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=138325&Ranking=all

17192.GIF

See more journals by JTO

Jay was a kind, knowledgeable & passionate man.

Nobody knew the SLQ better than him.

The quality and selection of his inventory offerings never ceased to amaze me and he literally wrote the book.

Besides the Walker, I also think that the SLQ is one of the most beautiful U.S. coins of all time.

JTO---That is an impressive set that you have there.

Great tribute to a great man.

I met J.H. Cline in the late 1990's at the Houston Money Show. He had a table on the bourse and gave a talk (not surprisingly) about Standing Liberty Quarters. Mr. Cline's book was in it's third edition and he was very well known. Although I've never actively collected Standing Liberty Quarters, I try to attend lectures presented by well known figures when I can, even if the topic is a bit outside of my areas of interest. My young daughter went with me to the show and we both attended his talk.

At the beginning of the talk he said he would have a drawing at the end for young numismatists for a copy of his book. As it turned out my daughter was the only "YN" there, so he simply handed it to her as everyone was leaving. My daughter lost interest in numismatics pretty quickly, so the book became mine. I still have it and my only regret is that we did not ask him to autograph it for us.

He was a numismatic icon and his expertise, passion and style will be missed.