• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin and slab imaging

5 posts in this topic

Would like to know how to image coins and slabs properly. Ways to reduce glare ? Lighting and equipment types ? Where can I purchase equipment ? I particularly like recent image of '42 proof Quarter COINMAN submitted. Have tried inexpensive camera with macro setting and less than satisfactory results.

Pick up a copy of Mark Goodman's book on coin photography. It will show you how to do this and avoid glare off the plastic holders.

If you're just getting started, there are easier coins to photograph than 1936-42 proofs. It is possible to get good pictures with cheap point-and-shoot cameras as long as you have a couple lights and a tripod or copy stand to support the camera. Use the self-timer, too, to avoid camera shake.

Some good advice already posted. A good process will get you on the way to good pics. I also recommend Mark Goodman's book. Understanding all the moving parts of the photography puzzle is essential.

Here is one of mine.

2009PLincolnPF69UCObvRev.jpg

Pick up a copy of Mark Goodman's book on coin photography. It will show you how to do this and avoid glare off the plastic holders.

Yes. Mark's book is a must for someone trying to learn how to image coins.