• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade on this morgan!

14 posts in this topic

I've been getting better at taking pics and thought I'd share the fruit of my labor with y'all. What do you think this gal grades?

Neil

119117-1900o_obv.jpg.85a4abc0948cae0c6b80a0133d6229a0.jpg

Wow! What a great set of photos! The details are very clear, yet the light you used cast an almost ghostly glow on the coin, very nice photo style! As for the grade, I am not good with Morgans and typically undergrade by 1-2 points, but I will guess MS-65. Thanks for shareing, and you photography skills are first rate in my book!

I'm still learning how to take these pics well. The hardest part is getting the lighting right. Though it is actually a very simple setup.

I have three desk lamps. Each perpendicular to the others (one on left, one top, one to right). I have 60 watt bulbs in them and a sheet of typing paper taped over the bulb to soften the light.

Next, I use a 6" travel tripod to steady the camera (a Ricoh rdc4300). Then I set the white balance to incandescent bulb. This does most of the color correction. People, you don't need reveal bulbs!! Set the white balance on your camera, takes care of 90% of your color issues! And much less expensive.

To keep from the monster pixellation problems, I set the camera to take the biggest possible picture with no compression. Makes for a nicer image (though I didn't do that on these pix) and more data to play with. Then open the pics in Photoshop for a little mid level balance, white point adjustment, and gamma change to make it look more correct in Windows. And that's all there is to it.

I'll wait till I get a few more replies before I post the grade.

Neil

Some interesting choices out there! I think the date/mint of the coin might have been throwing you off as to what to expect. It's a PCGS 65 coin. The fields are very nice on it, but there are a few too many ticks for a 66. And the luster is in that near-cool range but not quite cool enough. But overall, it is a solid 65.

Neil