• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Rush of Feeling Like a Kid Again posted by E4norbi

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I filled a hole in my Lincoln Album!

I hope every one had a great New Year's Day. It only comes once a year. Well, the parades are done and the bowl games are mostly over so it is time to get back in the saddle, sort of speak.

If the last few days are any indication of how 2016 will turn out then I believe it will be an awesome year. I filled a hole in my Lincoln Cent album! Bear in mind, my set is missing the big boys of the Lincoln Cent collection, 1909-S, 1909-S VDB, 1914-D, 1922 (no D), 1924-D, 1931-S, and 1955 DDO. I suppose we could include some of the modern varieties but first, as a rule, I'm not a big variety chaser and second they just don't carry the weight of the 1922 (no D) or 1955 DDO. Anyway, like I said, I filled a hole and yes I am excited about it.

I picked up a 1924-D for an incredibly reasonable price. (Read in here, dirt cheap affordable on a the budget of a high school teacher!) The coin itself is probably somewhere between VG and F. (Yea, I know, not a nice bright red uncirculated example but the price was in my budget even after the Christmas holiday.) It's a good looking coin for it's grade. From the best I can tell it has not been cleaned. (Always a good thing.) When I got it, I quickly realized the little kid in me that started collecting pennies in the 1960's was still very much alive. I hate to say this but I just don't get that kind of rush from graded coins. Oh don't get me wrong, I get very excited to hunt down and find many of of the graded coins I want for my sets but to feel like a kid again was a very rare treat. Just writing about it has got all lit up. I think this is why I love giving coins to kids. Maybe, just maybe mind you, I am giving them this same sense of excitement and wonder that I have for this hobby.

I suppose I've rambled enough so I'll end it here with a picture of my new baby.

Have a great day and a fantastic New Year everyone!

Dennis

17158.png

See more journals by E4norbi