• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Couple new ones for the 1917 year set

10 posts in this topic

Bought these both raw and piggybacked a friend's submission. So far the theme is to be very well struck and have some color. Going to make the walker a bit tough, so I may have to loosen the standard a bit for that.

Both have some green toning not visible in the photos, the linc in the upper LH part of the obverse, and the buffalo pretty much on the entire coin. (No, not PVC.) Feel free to GTG. Still missing are the 50c and 10c.

1917%20linc%2063rb%20lg_zpsuoohdj90.jpg

1917%20buff%2062%20lg_zpsbocjjmua.jpg

...So far the theme is to be very well struck and have some color. Going to make the walker a bit tough, so I may have to loosen the standard a bit for that...

Well, you're looking in a big haystack -- about 22 million 1917 Walkers.

And over 12 million from Philadelphia... fortunately, "Mint state examples are usually well struck." http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/6569?redir=t

Maybe this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1917-PCGS-MS65-Walking-Liberty-Half-Dollar-Beautifully-Toned-/141511920392?hash=item20f2c48b08:g:HxUAAOSwaNBUkvac

Hard to judge the toning from the photos. But the head & left hand (Obv) and left leg feathers (Rev) look well-struck.

A full set of 1917 satin proofs - including both quarters and gold - would have been most most impressive. (1917 gold master dies and hubs were made but no working dies or coins.)

Clarkbar... What a pleasure to look at your coins. I too have put together a set of

Coins from 1917, which was my Dad's birth year. None are as colorful as yours.

Congratulations, and good luck locating the right Half Dollar.

Thanks everybody. And in case anybody was wondering, the coins grade as follows:

1c: MS63RB (I thought 64)

5c: MS62 (umm, OK)

25c ty 1: MS65FH (anacs)

25c ty 2: MS64FH (PCGS)