• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And so the curtain shall fall on 2015

16 posts in this topic

With the new year approaching, I was wondering if anyone had big coin goals for next year.

As for me I spent 2015 working mostly on my Super Mod set, with only about a 30% focus on Pre-1970 coinage. With the amount of work I put into it, I'm comfortable I can shift back to where I want to be...19th century classic coinage. And let's be honest...with gold at a reasonable lever(for buyers), I hope to get a good start on putting together a gold type set. It's a pretty lofty goal on my budget, so If anyone has gold coins they want to donate to me, I'm open to the idea. ;)

Have a great 2016 and may the hammer fall favorably on your auctions!!

My goal is to finish a set of $4 Stellas, then have them drilled and made into a necklace for a girlfriend. After all, they aren't legal tender coins.....

;)

My goal is to finish a set of $4 Stellas, then have them drilled and made into a necklace for a girlfriend. After all, they aren't legal tender coins.....

;)

I have a Dremel you can borrow that works quite well. I used it on the 1823 CBQ I acquired last week.

On a more serious note, I will probably slow down this year on my collecting. I have some other things going on the next year or two that will probably put a damper on my buying more coins...who knows though. We'll see....

jom

RWB:

I wish you luck in your endeavor (and, more seriously, I wish you a 2016 that's even better than you can imagine).

Now, all that said ... the stellas aren't legal tender???? I thought they are.

Mark

Mark,

Sorry. None of the pattern pieces are legal tender except those later accepted for circulation use. A legal tender coin must have the correct alloy, weight and dimensions specified in law, but it must also be approved by the Secretary of Treasury (after 1867) for coinage.

;)

I'll bet you can get those Stellas pretty cheap in Shanghai. It can save you quite a bit of money if your girlfriend takes off with another guy.

Chris

;)

There is another alternative and one that is a whole lot cheaper! These are genuine gold coins (not struck in China) and legal-tender! All you need to do is to crack them out of their PCGS holders and drill a hole in them. A nice chain completes the necklace and your girlfriend will never know the difference!

1147237_Full_Obv.jpg

Otherwise, my type set will continue to get a lot of attention along with a new set based on the works of Laura Gardin Fraser. The gold Grant Dollar will probably be my biggest purchase in 2016..

Gary

;)

I have a Dremel you can borrow that works quite well. I used it on the 1823 CBQ I acquired last week.

On a more serious note, I will probably slow down this year on my collecting. I have some other things going on the next year or two that will probably put a damper on my buying more coins...who knows though. We'll see....

jom

I got a dull drill you can use to just to help out

I want to polish them up, first. After all, they are one of the most US common pattern pieces so finding more shouldn't be a problem. ;-)

My real goal it is to hit the lottery so I can get my backlog of books and articles in print.