• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1839 Gobrecht Dollar, Graded already but want comments

12 posts in this topic

You say it's not a PF62 and you are considering a re grade so I am going to guess PF 58.

The Gobrecht is probably my favorite coin, best reverse of any coin IMO.

In fact it was a 61, but I don't understand the factors that made it a 61 vs a 62. Detail wise, I think the coin is solid 62. There is the odd toning and a bag mark on the front, but I have seen coins with similar marks and similar detail getting higher grades. I found the coin in a bank bag full of 1921 Morgans and it came from the chapman family so the history behind the coin intrigues me enough to want to understand the grading of these coins. I understand at proof the difference is so slight the "average" collector may not be able to discern it. I am the "average" collector and am trying to understand how to discern the difference in grade on this pattern coin. All help is appreciated.

Thanks for the comment on the coin, I find it a very pleasing series of coins, and the history of how they came to be is also pretty interesting stuff.

In fact it was a 61, but I don't understand the factors that made it a 61 vs a 62. Detail wise, I think the coin is solid 62. There is the odd toning and a bag mark on the front, but I have seen coins with similar marks and similar detail getting higher grades. I found the coin in a bank bag full of 1921 Morgans and it came from the chapman family so the history behind the coin intrigues me enough to want to understand the grading of these coins. I understand at proof the difference is so slight the "average" collector may not be able to discern it. I am the "average" collector and am trying to understand how to discern the difference in grade on this pattern coin. All help is appreciated.

Thanks for the comment on the coin, I find it a very pleasing series of coins, and the history of how they came to be is also pretty interesting stuff.

We are talking one point here – I doubt you would get the grade changed and I know or at least hope you would not even consider cracking this and sending it in. A much better alternative would be to send it to CAC.

My first guess was PF 61, then I decided PF 58 because of your comments. Regardless it’s a nice coin.

It's not just average collectors who have trouble discerning 1 point differences in grading. It's also dealers and the graders at the best grading companies. Grading is at least partly subjective and inconsistent.

That certainly was a great find! Enjoy it and welcome to the forum.

Those pictures are difficult to interpret, but I'd probably call it 62/63. I'm guessing you were hoping for a 63/64.

The primary grade driver, at least from the pictures, are the dull, cloudy looking surfaces. In hand, or with better pictures, this opinion may change. I can't see any hairlines in these pictures, but if there are any hairlines hidden by the toning, that would also tend to drive the grade down. I don't see any major marks, but I don't expect that on a proof coin. The biggest difference between a 62 and a 61 is going to be the amount of hairlines present.

This is a coin that I have come close to buying a couple of times. I have an original issue (onward and upward eagle in the stary field) 1836 Gobrecht but not this one.

I would say that this coin is PR-61 piece for sure, not a PR-58. I don't see the rub, but I see marks. You might get a PR-62 out of it on a retry, but that's not worth that much. It's the PR-63 and above which separates the "nice" coins from the "really nice" and "super" coins. I don't see this coin making PR-63.

There are 1836 Gobrect dollars, but they might help you with the grades. This one is a PCGS PR-62, CAC. It's main fault is a dull spot in the right obverse field. Otherwise, it might have made PR-63.

1836GDollarO.jpg1836GDollarR.jpg

This one was in my collection before I acquired the piece shown above. NGC graded it PR-60, which I thought was two points too high.

1836GobrechtDolRestO.jpg1836GobrechtDolRestR.jpg