• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

End of year clearing out extras! White & toned nickels, dimes, & half dollars

1 post in this topic

With the year-end comes time to clear out odds ‘n ends from the safe and offer them here before posting them on Ebay. My apologies in advance for the images…time for better lighting and more practice. Some of these coins have pretty nice toning, some the toning is incidental, and others are pretty much white. All prices are delivered to you – if using Paypal add 3% to cover the juice. Naturally, reasonable offers will be considered. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Jefferson Nickels

1939-S Rev ’38 – NGC MS66 - $75.00

While not greatly toned this example has the same gray/blue base found on older nickels and there is minor coloring on Tom’s hairline and jacket and the same color is on Monticello. The few visible contact points that exist are consistent with the grade.

1939-S Rev 38 Jefferson Nickel

1939-S Rev 38 Jefferson Nickel

1930-S Rev 38 Jefferson Nickel Reverse

1951-D NGC MS66 - $30

Very nice peripheral toning dominates the obverse of this nickel. Orange and red are the main colors that cover most of the periphery and bleed into Tom’s hair and jacket. The upper half of the reverse sports the same color scheme and there are two very nice die cracks running through Monticello. There is a fair amount of orange peel on both sides. Tom’s jaw wasn’t completely struck and a hit on his cheekbone deny a higher assigned grade. Hopefully, you’ll be able to look past the images to see the colors.

1951-D Jefferson Nickel

1951-D Jefferson Nickel Obverse

1951-D Jefferson Nickel Reverse

1953-D PCGS MS66 - $55

This nickel has a very even blue tint on both sides. Lots of orange peel exists on both sides and the strike is consistent with the grade. There are a number of very tiny black marks on the obverse in the field that are not readily discernable unless the coin is sharply tilted.

1953-D Jefferson Nickel

1953-D Jefferson Nickel Obverse

1953-D Jefferson Nickel Reverse

Mercury Dime

1944-D PCGS MS65FB - $35

This Mercury dime is bright white and very well struck. Why it wasn’t assigned a higher grade is a bit of a mystery. The obverse is totally mark-free and the reverse has several tiny ticks in the fasces and two of the slightest small marks in the right field. Overall, it’s a very nice example of the date.

1944-D Mercury Dime

1944-D Mercury Dime Obverse

1944-D Mercury Dime Reverse

Roosevelt Dimes

1951 NGC MS66 - $20

This slab is one I submitted for grading and expected to see an MS67 assigned to it. Alas, it wasn’t to be – and it beats me why. There is a reed mark in Roosie’s hair that you really have to look for – and that’s about it. It has nice violet toning on the obverse bottom and the reverse is toned orange in the center of the coin leading to violet in the bottom periphery. There is a neat faint die crack on the obverse that runs from the rim to Roosie’s ear and the reverse sports many die polish lines in the upper left field.

1951 Roosevelt Dime

1951 Roosevelt Dime Obverse

1951 Roosevelt Dime Reverse

1956 NGC MS66 - $35

This is another dime I submitted hoping for a star or a MS67 grade – results: neither. The blue fingerprint toning on the front gives this dime a unique appearance and the orange/red/violet colors on the reverse combine to create a nice two-sided toner. There is a tiny mark to the right of Roosie’s eye and that’s about all there is to comment on.

1956 Roosevelt Dime

1956 Roosevelt Dime Obverse

1956 Roosevelt Dime Reverse

Washington Quarter

1943 PCGS MS66 - $55

A well-struck specimen with original skin and dark peripheral toning is what you have with this quarter. There are no marks to speak of on either side.

1943 Washington Quarter

1943 Washington Quarter Obverse

1943 Washington Quarter Reverse

Franklin Half Dollars

1951-S Franklin Half Dollar – NGC MS63 - $25

As with several of the dimes I’m selling, I submitted both half dollars for grading. And, just like those dimes, the assigned grades weren’t quite what I was hoping for…go figure. In this case, the grade of MS63 is fair as the number of small marks on either side are enough to keep it from a higher assigned grade. It has a nice original skin and the beginnings of peripheral toning – but in all honesty, shouldn’t have been submitted. My loss = your gain.

1951-S Franklin Half Dollar

1951-S Franklin Half Dollar Obverse

1951-S Franklin Half Dollar Reverse

1954 Franklin Half Dollar – NGC MS64 - $40

When I submitted this half-dollar I was hopeful the obverse toning would be enough to warrant a star…denied! Although the images are darker than what the coin looks like in hand, the obverse color is mostly deep orange with hints of red and green – it’s a very attractive coin. There is a hit above Ben’s eyebrow on the obverse and the reverse shows a mark on the bell’s wooden support. The reverse has an original skin with the slightest hint of color on the periphery.

1954 Franklin Half Dollar

1954 Franklin Half Dollar Obverse

1954 Franklin Half Dollar Reverse