• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1944-D Toned Roll

13 posts in this topic

Was down in SoCal again last weekend and picked up another toned roll from same dealer I got the 41-D Toned Roll from. These have a very different type of toning, with peripheral mottled color and central orange highlighting. What do you think?

IMG_4222_A.jpg

IMG_4223_A.jpg

Some feedback I've received on this roll is saying that 44-D is a really tough coin to find with decent toning. Looking through my other coins and rolls I must agree, all of the 44-D's I have and most that I've seen don't have much color.

It's hard to see in the above photos, but I just attributed the majority of this roll as 44-D/D RPM#5. It's a subtle RPM but does add a bit more interest. Here are some images of the RPM:

44-D%20Toned%20Roll%20RPM_0.jpg

44-D%20Toned%20Roll%20RPM_1.jpg

Thanks guys. The high resolution 2D and 3D perspective images are fun to do. Sometimes they show things you can't really visualize (or have to assume), while other times they are just cool to look at.

If the apparent different in height of MM is real, then it seems the D punch was struck off-center to the upper left.

To me, defects in 44 are more interesting than the MM.

If the apparent different in height of MM is real, then it seems the D punch was struck off-center to the upper left.

To me, defects in 44 are more interesting than the MM.

Yes, the heights are real. The punch was definitely angled when the main MM was punched. You can sort of tell this is true from the 2D shot but it's a lot more obvious in the 3D.

Regarding the 44, this is a classic example of Master Die Doubling

Those are AMAZING images! What do you use to create them?

The 2D image is done with focus stacking. For this image, 20 source images were taken with 10um step size between them, progressively focusing from the lowest to the highest focal planes. Software is used to pick out the in-focus pixels (based on contrast) and then only those pixels are included in a final rendered 2D image. At the time each pixel is picked for inclusion in the 2D image, its depth is recorded in a depth map file. This file is used by the software to create a 3D rendering of the surface topography of the image, which is then manipulated to render perspective views from any angle or elevation.

>>>The 2D image is done with focus stacking. For this image, 20 source images were taken with 10um step size between them, progressively focusing from the lowest to the highest focal planes. Software is used to pick out the in-focus pixels (based on contrast) and then only those pixels are included in a final rendered 2D image. At the time each pixel is picked for inclusion in the 2D image, its depth is recorded in a depth map file. This file is used by the software to create a 3D rendering of the surface topography of the image, which is then manipulated to render perspective views from any angle or elevation.<<<

WOW.....I just wish I could take a regular pic of a coin and you could tell it was the same coin that is in the pic!

Great job and nice looking Lincolns.