• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skyman says, 50 years ago today: Gemini 6 rendezvoused with Gemini 7.

9 posts in this topic

Fifty years ago today, December 15, 1965, Gemini 6 rendezvoused with Gemini 7. It was the first time ever that humans had performed a rendezvous in space. This was perhaps the moment that the US overtook the USSR in the "Space Race". Certainly in conjunction with Gemini 7's two week long space flight (basically to test human endurance in space), this marked, as Churchill would call cleaning the Axis out of North Africa, "... not the beginning of the end, but rather the end of the beginning". From here on out the US, for the most part, ruled the Space Race.

All the major space accomplishments from that time forward have depended upon rendezvous, whether it be the Apollo space ships in lunar orbit, the US/USSR/Russian ships going to space stations, or astronauts tending the Hubble Space Telescope in orbit. Without rendezvous, none of that would have been feasible.

Astronauts were allowed to bring (subject to weight limits) personal items aboard a flight. These items were stashed in their PPK (personal preference kits). Before each flight the head of the astronaut office Deke Slayton had to sign off on the contents of each PPK. Here is the PPK list that Wally Schirra, the Commander of Gemini 6, submitted to Slayton. To the best of my knowledge it is the only PPK list from the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo (MGA) era that has survived, and I own it. I have been looking around for some time to find out if ANYONE knows anything about the "1950-D" coin (see # 3). Needless to say, I'd love to buy it if it comes onto the market with an authentic provenance trail.

GT6PPKlist.jpg

Anyhow, here are pix of mission flown patches I have from both missions, as well as some pictures (some signed) taken during the missions.

GT6PatchSmCr.jpg

lf.jpg

GT6Liftoff_zps8a604689.jpg

GT7Liftoff_zpsedd5a988.jpg

gemini7.jpg

What happened to some of the other personal items, such as the gold and silver medals?

(Once they docked, did it become Gemini 13? -- :)

What happened to some of the other personal items, such as the gold and silver medals?

(Once they docked, did it become Gemini 13? -- :)

The gold (plated) and silver medallions are Fliteline medallions. They show up every now and then at auction. Given the range of their condition, they tend to go anywhere from ~ $700 to ~ $2,000.

Actually Gemini 6 and Gemini 7 never docked. Gemini 6 was originally scheduled to rendezvous/dock with an unmanned Agena spacecraft. That craft blew up during launch. So it was decided by NASA management that Gemini 6 would launch AFTER Gemini 7 was launched and then rendezvous with it. During the mission, Gemini 6 closed in to within 6 inches of Gemini 7, but could not actually dock with it. The first full on rendezvous/docking was on Gemini 8.

Ah.....I'd forgotten the details, although I remembers watching on TV.

So it was really Gemini 6-7/8ths..... ;)

NASA kept getting bogged down in politics rather than science....where could mankind be if NASA had kept pushing forward.....? (Rhetorical question.)