• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 more raw walkers, nice ones.

14 posts in this topic

I have added a few more raw walkers to the harem, and thought I'd post them here for grading fun. You might notice all 3 photos look slightly different. All 3 sets of photos were taken on different days and that is just kind of how they turn out when I take pics. But I did finally learn how to put obverse and reverse in the same photo.

1935 Philadelphia - the lights really make those 2 small tics in the RH field stand out, but they are not very noticeable at all, and really the only marks on the whole coin.

1935%20moose_zpspxrbs92g.jpg

1936 Denver - very frosty

1936-D_zpszhi1ax3h.jpg

1936 Philadelphia - luster better than the photos show

1936%20philly_zpswkvhev2k.jpg

My first impression: the first coin I'd go 66 on the reverse,but only 65 on the Obverse, so I'll go 65+

second coin 65, last coin 66 (I like the obverse sharpness of strike the thumb and stems are solid.......65+,65, 66

I'm at MS 65 on each.

1935 P, the ticks on the obverse are still enough to knock it down. The graders just crucify these poor things.

1936 D there are enough chatter marks in both obverse fields to arrive at this grade. That's before observing the hit above the "ll" on the reverse. (they tend to ignore the reverse unless it's really beat up).

1936 The hit on the sun is in an obvious focal area. It's the only gripe I have and hopefully they like this one more.

This seemingly common idea/belief that "one little hit" whether on a prime focal area or anywhere else is going to limit a grade to a 64, 65, 66 or even a MS67 grade just False. .. coin grading is about establishing an overall look of a coin, not counting "hits", "marks", or other "chatter".....

The 36-D graded PCGS MS66. For whatever reason I never posted photos of this 36-S which I bought at the same time as the 36-D, it is pretty much a full strike and a luster bomb. PCGS said it was MS65.

36-S_zpsuce2lads.jpg

The 36-D graded PCGS MS66. For whatever reason I never posted photos of this 36-S which I bought at the same time as the 36-D, it is pretty much a full strike and a luster bomb. PCGS said it was MS65.

36-S_zpsuce2lads.jpg

The strike and the luster are gem for sure. The moderate marks in the right facing field limit it to 65 IMHO. That is a tough date to find struck up well.