• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Life Has A Funny Habit Of Getting In The Way posted by E4norbi

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Has it really been two years since my last entry?

Greetings to one and all...

I feel like I fell off the face of the earth but in reality the last two years have just been crazy. Deaths in the family, a couple of weddings and of course the usual unexpected home and vehicle maintenance issues and poof time and money both go flying out the window. But fear not, I have not abandoned this hobby we all love so much. I did have to let my membership fees slip for a while but I'm still bottom fishing to add to my collection.

My biggest coup was a submission a little more than a year ago. When my mother passed away in 2009, she left me a stash of coins that she had squirreled away while she was a bank teller. In that stash there were two rolls of SBA 1979 P Narrow Rim dollars. With time running out on my free submissions, I was in the usual quandary of what to submit. In poking through my stash of stuff, I came across the two rolls and decided it was time. I must have spent a good two hours going maticuliously through each roll, inspecting each coin. I settled on the five I wanted to submit and packaged them up, sending them in with a couple of days to spare before my certificate expired. It was near Christmas so things got hectic and I forgot I had shipped the coins to NGC.

Christmas and New Years came and went and then one day I got home from school to find a small box waiting for me. The SBA's were back. In all honesty, this was only my second submission on my own and I really wasn't expecting anything great. (SBA's are not known for being especially well minted.) I opened the box and found two MS 65's, two MS 66's and an MS 67. It was like Christmas all over again. Needless to say, the MS 67 went right into my collection!

That still left me with to 65's and two 66's. Looking on eBay I realized the 65's were not going to be worth the effort to try an sell so in typical fashion I gave them to a couple of young boys of a friend of mine. The kids thought they were awesome and convinced their father to buy them a house safe to protect their treasures. The 66's were sold on eBay to help the summer finances.

Anyway, school is winding down for Christmas break and I am hoping that 2106 will let me get back to being semi-regular around here. In the mean time, I hope everyone is doing well.

Let's just this prodigal son has return!

17114.jpeg

See more journals by E4norbi

Great to hear from you E4norbi!!

I guess we all struggle at times and continue the collection later on. The coins stay well in their slabs over time and await for our return when we are ready. :grin:

Congrats on the MS67!!

Rick

E4norbi

It's great to hear from you again. I have always appreciated your methods of collecting because you display the essence of what collecting coins is about. I love your less than $5 dime collection, you show that this hobby can be enjoyed by a person of ANY financial means. I also appreciate your efforts to pass our hobby on to the next generation. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Gary