• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This stuff makes me wanna collect coins again!!!

28 posts in this topic

Used to own this coin in an NGC MS67FB holder!!! I was so estatic to own it until a dealer pointed out a staple scratch on the base of Miss Liberty's neck! Then every time I picked it up I couldnt help but notice it! Every time I seen it in auction I have warned on the boards... However it has climbed to PCGS MS67+FB and now resides in a MS68FB holder..... And to think I felt a great deal of way lifted when I flipped it to a dealer that didn't notice the staple scratch lol

Screenshot_2015-12-10-15-47-38_zpslbvhbuvs.png

$4,500 plus the buyer's fee for a freaking 1944-S dime? :o:screwy:

I am so glad I never addicted to modern coins like this. :whee:

Estimate is $9-10K -- $4500 is the opening bid...

Even more insane than you thought...

:facepalm:

I am so glad I never addicted to modern coins like this. :whee:

Estimate is $9-10K -- $4500 is the opening bid...

Even more insane than you thought...

:facepalm:

insanity .... :insane:

The description makes me chuckle a bit.

10C 1944-S PCGS MS68 FB CAC

Neon green and deep lilac toning spans the entire obverse of this visually stunning gem, while the reverse is more russet over silver. Outstanding quality and extraordinary visual appeal for the toning. Furthermore, this one is tied at the finest certified by both PCGS and NGC.

PCGS 7, NGC 9, CAC 4.

The most recent CAC example of this date and grade sold for $11,750.00 (11/13) a few years ago, but this one with far more intense color could be a runaway! Good luck!

Right, except for when it was graded MS67FB, and then MS67+FB before its current absolutely maxed out MS68FB grade! lol

I'll give Legend points for "flowery language", but as Mercs go, this is no where near a "monster" for the series. Robec owns probably 5-10 Mercs that are more attractive than this one...

Good luck to the buyer.

Emoticon_digging_hole_zpse0719a8c.gif

This 1832 dime is worth a worth thousands less than than that 1944-S ...

Go figure. hm

1832DimeO.jpg1832DimeR.jpg

I guess the problem is it only grades MS-65 and does not have a staple scratch. (shrug)

Wow, as you said it has a staple scratch on the base of Miss Liberty's neck, and CAC approved it at MS68FB?? Wondering if it was in MS67FB, will CAC still give it a green bean or upgrade to gold bean?

Where is the staple scratch? I'm not seeing it in the pictures. Do you have other pictures that show it more clearly?

I used to I can't find then. I owned in somewhere between 2009-10

This 1832 dime is worth a worth thousands less than than that 1944-S ...

Go figure. hm

1832DimeO.jpg1832DimeR.jpg

I guess the problem is it only grades MS-65 and does not have a staple scratch. (shrug)

I'll take the Bust dime any day of the week.....thank you very much!

jom

Love toned coins but this one doesn't do it for me. Don't see a staple scratch so I will assume it's something else.

mark

I am so glad I never got addicted to modern coins like this. :whee:

I wouldn't call this a modern coin but it's certainly over priced. I consider the modern coin era to begin when our coins started to be struck on clad planchets. Hard to believe it's been 50 years now.

I don't like the blotchy toning on the Mercury, I'd much rather have the 1832. Or if I wanted a 44-S I'd much rather have a lower grade coin with even coloring than that thing. Strikes me more of a case of buying the number than buying the coin.

I don't like the blotchy toning on the Mercury, I'd much rather have the 1832. Or if I wanted a 44-S I'd much rather have a lower grade coin with even coloring than that thing. Strikes me more of a case of buying the number than buying the coin.

Well if you remove the sticker and plastic you have a $100 raw coin that might come back UNC details graded as questionable RADIOACTIVE color if resubmitted.

So, is this an identifier for collectors that we have reached a coin "bubble," just curious...seems like a lot of crazy money for coins; i.e., coin fabrication on nail, maybe the 1894-s proof dime? How did this "stuff" sell during the last great recession? As we're at the doorstep of one now.

So, is this an identifier for collectors that we have reached a coin "bubble," just curious...seems like a lot of crazy money for coins; i.e., coin fabrication on nail, maybe the 1894-s proof dime? How did this "stuff" sell during the last great recession? As we're at the doorstep of one now.

The market is actually lukewarm at best overall. Exceptions to be sure.

mark

Used to own this coin in an NGC MS67FB holder!!! I was so estatic to own it until a dealer pointed out a staple scratch on the base of Miss Liberty's neck! Then every time I picked it up I couldnt help but notice it! Every time I seen it in auction I have warned on the boards... However it has climbed to PCGS MS67+FB and now resides in a MS68FB holder..... And to think I felt a great deal of way lifted when I flipped it to a dealer that didn't notice the staple scratch lol

Screenshot_2015-12-10-15-47-38_zpslbvhbuvs.png

You recouped. You had a coin sold to you where the staple scratch was not noticed.

You sold it to a dealer that did not notice the staple scratch.

Bragging Rights. Some are deserving of being uttered because the Right to do so was earned. Some are just silly.