• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peace $ Newp

89 posts in this topic

Is that one of the ANACS graded 1934-D's attributed as Proof Like?

Yes. The one that was on ebay for 40 years listed as high as 5k at one point.

Only proof like if you're, like, a Valley Girl, like.....

I was born and raised in the Watchung hills valley of NJ and currently live in the Lehigh Valley PA so I suppose I am.

Any "proof like" dollar has to be similar to the well-established PL Morgans and PL seated halves. That coin is not similar in any respect.

"Valley Girls" came from California, not New Jersey... ;)

I think it is a very neat coin and one that I (and many other members) would be proud to own. I do think the coin has prooflike tendencies, but I have to agree with Roger Burdette that the coin does not look fully prooflike to me although photos can be deceiving. I think it is star worthy though. There was a NGC MS64 PL example that appeared a few years ago that I had Mark Feld take a look at for me. Maybe he will chime in with a response.

Here is to hoping I am wrong... :wishluck:

Part of my due diligence in pulling the trigger on this coin is that there are a few members on this forum who have seen this coin in hand. Broadstruck being one of them. Unfortunately, I do not get along with any of the members on that shortlist, so I was only able to use their posts and comments as a reference without further private discussion. But I think we are all aware that even NGC is not going to expect P$ to come anywhere near the level of a PL morgan. The coin design simply does not lend itself to mirrored surfaces. I am not expecting anything of the sort.

Now I have not seen many PL P$, as most people would say the same, but I am very confident in my overall P$ abilities sort to speak and I have looked at every picture I could come across for every PL ever sold or shown ff. And I am hopeful that the seller pics are not doing a great job. I have yet to see any good pictures of PL P$s whether they be from members or auction houses.

I did own(and sold to a member here) a 22-D myself that I felt was every bit as PL as Jerseycat's and Physics Fan Pi. The best way I could describe that coin was that it resembled tin foil. Not quite mirrored, but definitely something very different from regular P$. And I will say that, like with any coin, ownership tends to add (instert accolade here). In fact I did a blind test with Physics on that particular coin, similar to what I tried to do here, where I just sent him pics of the coin without any mention to the PL thoughts. He responded that he thought the coin was raw, and an AU 58, and nothing else. I then told him I felt the coin was PL. He disagreed and said "I doubt it would even get into an MS holder". I then zoomed out and showed him it was a PCGS 63 and did a side by side with his coin. he then immediately agreed it had the same PL qualities.

Now the point of that story goes back to the age old "you cant grade from pics"...Which is a big part of this purchase as I decided that worst comes to worst if in hand I disagree on the PL status, I do have a 14 day return option. But paraphrasing one of those aforementioned people who has seen the coin in hand.."the coin is not PL like a morgan is PL, but in hand that coin absolutely deserves its PL attribute"

Here's the exact quote from the other member. And maybe Broadstruck will offer his opinions on the coin in my OP since he has seen it.

"I have seen the ANACS one as well and it is more brilliantly flashy than mirrored although it deserves its PL label. "

So far I have come across 4 members who have * P$ for PL qualities. Again as ownership adds XXXX, everyone of those members tends to think their coin is "the most PL"..(Personally the most PL ever for me is a 1921 posted by user Michael_S awhile back, beautiful coin)

So to be fair here is about how the conversation went down on the 22-D I mentioned above.

Before the side by side thoughts of the coin were.

"I'm going to go with harshly cleaned. The coin also looks like it may be lightly circulated (again, the pictures could be interpreted both ways). Additionally, there appears to be a scratch on the obverse under the motto from IN to the neck (it may be a die crack, not sure, but it looks a lot like a scratch). "

Then I did this side by side with my 22-d and physics 23*

comp2.jpg

comp.jpg

And it became:

"Ok, I see it now. Yeah, it does appear to have a similar surface quality. Mine got the Star at NGC, if you submit yours I bet it would also."

So again the point here is pictures, even for the NGC PL coins, have been useless. And the 2 in hand viewers of this anacs PL coin were the deciding factor for me to take a shot on this one. The price was high. But it was the lowest this seller has had this coin. I also spoke to the seller and he is a PL collector, has a few mercs and semi pl WLH, so I used those in hand opinions as the main decider.

The 22 D mumu had and sold to a member was me and yes the coin definitely stood out and had some proof like tendencies, I'm far from an expert but I do not feel it qualifies as prooflike. I subsequently sold that coin after I purchased this one from crypto. It is absolutely by far the most prooflike peace I have ever seen, and again I'm no expert per se but I would call this coin prooflike all day long. It gets a lot of criticism for the picture, many believe it doesn't represent the coin in hand but I can tell you it actually really does. I have tried to photograph it but it's an impossible task for my ability. Brg has been generous enough to offer taking a picture of it for me, I just haven't had the time to send it off to him.

Nick

Image16dr_zpsc0dca236.jpg

Have never seen a Peace dollar that qualifies as PL....nor a photo of one. Lots of hopeful thoughts and pleasant dreams.

Have never seen a Peace dollar that qualifies as PL THE SAME WAY A MORGAN DOES....nor a photo of one. Lots of hopeful thoughts and pleasant dreams.

Fixed your post.

Roger you are the expert, it would be foolish to dismiss your opinion even tho you come accross extremely persnickety when it comes to peace dollars. In an effort to understand your thinking (if that's possible) what are the qualifying factors for a PL peace dollar designation? And you say you have never seen a peace dollar nor photo of one that qualifies but do you believe one or more exist that would indeed pass your scrutiny? or would finding an authentic '64 peace dollar be a better pursuit?

Nick

I've been looking at that 34D for years. The seller just wanted too much for it - more than I was willing to risk.

When you get it in hand, take pics and let us know how it looks!

I will try but I may not fair much better than the recent seller pics. I only have an iPhone 6 and a Samsung 6 edge as photography options. And as you know these are tough to image.

I dont know PL coins and with that said.... All I can add is that from the photos, PF's 23 and Jersey's 22-D seem to have PL tendencies... I just dont see the frostiness that I think of when it comes to proof-like on the other coins.

Mumu I hope that coin is much better in hand than the photos. Good luck!

To me, "proof-like" refers to the field, and "contrast" refers to the difference in texture between the field and relief.

I remembered there were a lot of argument about the PL and star attributed on Mumu's post a year ago or so. It was when Mumu has a 1922 D Peace Dollar MS64*. Actually my opinion is that Mumu's 1922 D does deserved to have a star designation because there are VERY few Peace dollars that have eye appeal or very attractive field and relief. Anyways the first picture on first page, I would say it should be star, but not the PL from what I see on picture. I am no expert on Peace Dollar... just my 2 cents.

I've been looking at that 34D for years. The seller just wanted too much for it - more than I was willing to risk.

I will try but I may not fair much better than the recent seller pics. I only have an iPhone 6 and a Samsung 6 edge as photography options. And as you know these are tough to image.

Please send it to Todd Pollack. He is excellent with PL coins.

Please send it to Todd Pollack. He is excellent with PL coins.

I have used Todd for the coins in my sig and have several other coins I've wanted to to get done but unfortunately the Philly show stopped happening and I hate mailing coins. I was overloaded with work during Baltimore. Todd should start doing the NYC world coin show.

I dont know PL coins and with that said.... All I can add is that from the photos, PF's 23 and Jersey's 22-D seem to have PL tendencies... I just dont see the frostiness that I think of when it comes to proof-like on the other coins.

I think you might have meant to use a different noun other than "frostiness." Mint frost in the fields is an excellent indication that the coin is not fully prooflike. If you meant cameo contrasts on the devices, these are also not considered in awarding a PL or DPL designation although the enhanced eye appeal may garner a star. The determination of whether it is PL or not is whether the fields have the requisite amount of reflectivity. It is all about the depth of the mirrors.

Coin was suppose to go out for delivery today but just missed the arrival cutoff. Will probably have to wait till Monday now to look at it unless they are on for the holidays on sundays now.

PhysicsFan's coin seems to have a light sheen of frost on the entire portrait of lady peace and eagle.

I remembered there were a lot of argument about the PL and star attributed on Mumu's post a year ago or so. It was when Mumu has a 1922 D Peace Dollar MS64*. Actually my opinion is that Mumu's 1922 D does deserved to have a star designation because there are VERY few Peace dollars that have eye appeal or very attractive field and relief. Anyways the first picture on first page, I would say it should be star, but not the PL from what I see on picture. I am no expert on Peace Dollar... just my 2 cents.

That may be someone else? The 22D I had was a 63 PCGS. Never had a 64 Star. I am not sure who did?

Came in today. Pictures make it look horrible. Awesome coin. Will try my best to improve pics.

Conundrum Will be crossing it to NGC.