• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New pix, old coin: 1883 CC Morgan DMPL

10 posts in this topic

Here are some new pix of an old coin. It's graded PCGS MS64DMPL. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1883CC_64dmplMOo5_zpsbafpxodw.jpgbc1883CC_64dmplMOr5t_zpssgm2imz9.jpg

Nice. Notice the reverse clash (right, next to wreath) was so deep that it didn't get polished off.

Yes! You can see where much of Liberty's neck clash was polished out from the bottom of the "n" in IGWT to the leading edge of the Eagle's right wing. What is interesting to note is that you can actually see the "n" clash just to the left of Liberty's neck. You can also see more die polishing between the eagle's neck and right wing.

Chris

Did these two dies clash each other?

Interesting that the center of both dies has fading of the polish. That suggests the lap was not a good fit for the die radius.

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

Did these two dies clash each other?

Interesting that the center of both dies has fading of the polish. That suggests the lap was not a good fit for the die radius.

The coin is in the SDB. The next time I get something from the box I'll check it out.

This is actually surprisingly common for PLs of many different series.

Was the lapping device mechanically fit? Did it have an adjustable radius? Was it handheld? How was this done?

There were multiple ways this was done, depending on the mint and type of repair. Check the section in From Mine to Mint and the I can fill in any additional questions.

Nice looking CC SkyMan.

Sometime before around 2003 or so common date CC's as well as common date O and S mints were easily found in DPL and you could attend any decent size show and pretty much cherrypick the nicer ones for about $175.00 - $200.00 each. It seemed like almost overnight that DPL's became very popular, prices shot up and the supply dried up. At one time in the late 90's I had accumulated at least a couple dozen common date CC's in 64DPL and had quite a few S and O mints also, and I could pretty much buy as many as I wanted when attending shows.

Today is a different story, even lower grade DPL's are not easily found at shows and prices have escalated substantially, especially for the really deep ones with heavy contrast. I guess the days of buying coins like SkyMans for $175.00 all day long are now gone forever :-(