• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 No P Roosevelt...Phantom "P"

10 posts in this topic

Hello All!

I'd like to thank everyone for the very informative posts and responses; this has been an invaluable tool for learning and development in these ventures to build a collection that I can pass on to another generation- sharing history through canonized beauty...what a hobby!

Okay, my first post should be sharing what can be seen with a bit of speculation. Perhaps an apparition, a ghost, this is sure to bring a few comments...I hope!

Here is the 1982 No P Roosevelt Dime that I bought over E bay. I purchased this coin, because when I was 8 years old, the coin was distributed throughout Sandusky, OH area and was known as the "Amusement Park" coin because of a place called Cedar Point! This amusement park is about a 2 hour drive from where I live. I can recall my Dad always looking through his change for the elusive "No P" dime. I looked, Dad looked, and, to no avail. I finally bought an example and is here to share...what I found was a bit of a surprise. A 1982 No P dime that appeared to have a faint "hue" of a P. When I move the holder from left to right in direct light I can pick up a faint P. Here is the best pics I can share to show you this anomaly.

I hope to receive some sort of feedback with a few who may be aware of this coin with it's indifferent attributes. To all a big thanks!

Rich

159092.jpg.e1f256d84f6f569af94bf22d930dec21.jpg

159093.jpg.a28ac170159a04ea010ae7d8ef2646b9.jpg

159094.jpg.dc473080f847e6fe40de47fc077cbaa8.jpg

Welcome to the fun Rich.

Part of the images won't show for me but I'm seeing a faint P. On the no P variety the P was never put on the die. Maybe the lighting is just playing tricks on our eyes or the P on the die was filled with grease or something when the coin was struck. Do you have an image of the whole slab? That may be one of the images that I can't see. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for responses! Having a bit of difficulty with file size on uploading images. All a learning curve.

At first, I thought the lighting was playing tricks. I certainly wanted to believe that, because I had a sinking feeling that I bought an altered coin. This prompted me to do some research on the No P Roosevelt and luckily I did find a bit of good news. I came across an article on the internet wrote by Jaime Hernandez for PCGS on the Roosevelt No P dime. Mr. Hernandez notes that some strongly struck No P dimes have a die crack at the one o'clock position. Fortunately, this happens to be one. I included an image of the die crack, another image of the phantom "P," and a picture of the slab.

Thanks again, Rich

159103.jpg.81c46b0a18cb1f50c47cd83bd5c01d20.jpg

159104.jpg.43689ad55362d6c13e910f5ab5989e15.jpg

159105.jpg.031ed75731ec983b06ded96d9ee21311.jpg

I agree with CaptHenway that the coin looks good but am not extremely confident with the pictures provided.

There is a sort of raised area or flaw in the area of the mint mark on legitmate coins and, I believe, this is all you're seeing. As has been stated there should be no "P" at all since it was never added to the die.

When the story first appeared in Numismatic News I drove to Sandusky hoping to secure a few rolls of this "type". I expected a line at the coin shop so got there hours early and used the time at the downtown library researching the town and amusement park. It's an interesting history and people might want to look up the "firelands". I waited some time on the coin shop steps for the proprietor who told me I was the very first person coming to ask about the coin. I was dissapointed in being able to secure a quantity of the issue but was able to pick a Gem out of his stock. He even gave me a lifetime buy back guarantee which I hardly need since I won't be selling.

It's a great coin with a great history but people still don't care much about modern clads. Many of the coins are in only a few hands and these hoards serve to suppress the price since they are sold into strenght.

The one you have looks fine to me. I used to own one in a PCGS MS67 OGH but ended up selling it a few years ago when I backed off a bit on the registry. Its a variety Id like to have again but other coins are in the way at the time.

Appreciate your assurance on this coin along with CaptHenway, erwindoc, and enjoyed the comments by other members. Since I never owned, or, had the opportunity to examine a Roosevelt No P; the anomaly through my loop for a loop!

Also, very interesting story on your quest to secure some of these varieties back in 1982. I never would of thought that rolls of these were, and are hoarded; but doesn't surprise me. I'm sure there's some lucky individuals that have original rolls of the 2004-D "high" and "low" leaf Wisconsin quarters too- I wonder how such a find would be valued? Or, other original wrapped rarities.

Sandusky is a beautiful area and thanks for sharing about the "firelands," was a good read this morning looking up the history!