• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What safe to buy?

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking for something that provides good protection from fire, theft, and water damage. It needs to be at least 2 cubic feet in size, but I don't want it much bigger than that so it's easy to hide. Any recommendations?

I found this website, it might be helpful for pricing (I'm not sure what shipping would cost if you order on the web). I heard a commercial on the radio a week or two ago about a safe company in Seattle, but I couldn't find a website, so I ran across this instead: City Wide Safe Hope it helps!

i personally cant tell you where to go to purchase a safe. but, i would first look

for a lock and safe dealer. they normally have a large selection of tradeins.

i personally bought a safe about 3ft in height and very heavy. as a matter of fact

i have to have a safe company move it for me its so heavy!!

i payed about 1,000 for mine, its not a brand new unit, but it provides me with

what I need. protection from fire and theft!!!

i can safely store my stamp and coin collection.

recommendations>>>>>> buy what fits your needs, and can accomodate

future purchases.

i dont recommend a safe that can be lifted away by someone easaly. buy a safe

that is fire proof as well!!!

i personally lost my entire collection of proof sets, and gold coins 20 years ago.

NOT AGAIN!!!!!!

good luck in your quest!

mike

Barry:

Figure out the size you need, then get the next largest size. You never have enough room in a safe.

Bigger is also better for the reasons stated above.

happpy hunting

sf

I know several collectors that had heavy safes. There collections were stolen! Your safe doesn't have to be hauled off for someone to get at your collection. All you need is a sledge hammer and most safes can be opened. They peel off the outer steel on the door and the guts just fall out! I have seen the aftermath the robbers left! They also got around the alarm by going through a concrete block wall and not the doors or windows...

The safest place to keep your collection is in a lock box at the bank!! IMO.

I was just trying to explain that safes aren't safe against theft. Fire maybe, Water maybe, Theft no!!!!! Also a good hot fire and your collection is toast. But they will keep the dog and kids out of your collection.

you know monty, it sure is a good thing you know all and everything there is

to know about safes.

you dont even have a clue as to whats going on.

mike

Mike;

I AM NOT A KNOW-IT-ALL! Lighten up!

I have seen first hand what a criminal can do to a safe!! I have 3 friends that had big heavy safes that were opened by theives. These people lost everything they had. I have also seen what a very hot fire can do to the contents of a safe!

Safes do offer some protection(I have a small one myself) but I keep my valuable collection in the Bank!!!

Many years ago I had a client called the Meilink Safe Co. They made small and medium sized safes and file cabilnets for homes and businesses. I think they went bankrupt at some point. From what I remember

1) No home safe is 100% "fireproof". If the fire is hot enough and lasts long enough the stuff inside will be history. I think safes are rated to show how much fire protection they offer.

2) I think most "fireproof" safes create humidity inside as a result of the liquid filled beads contained between the two walls. THere are probably ways to offset this.

Personally, I feel better about the safety of both family and collection with my coins in the bank vault.

I vote for the bank vault. Cheapest insurance you can get, and tax deductible too, if you keep financial documents in it. I consider my inventory sheet to be a "financial document" smile.gif

You can get your "coin fix" at home by looking through catalogs and surfing the coin sites.