• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Walker, What are your Thoughts?

12 posts in this topic

Like to get your thoughts on this coin. Does color look right? What is your guess on grade? Why does the reverse and the obverse look so different? Is that just lighting and camera settings?+

kfohzY63TPCsjWaXSfyM_1920wo.png

ZGg4FtDGS2TPVo3MCfXg_1920w.png

Just the fact that you really don't see this type of color on a Walker makes me very suspicious. Some of the Malibu Collection Walkers had similar wild toning, but none to this extent. From the photos, I would say this is a 65. It is also suspicious to me that this Walker is not encapsulated. A 65 (or even a 64) carries a nice price tag - not even considering toning.

From the 'R' to the 'T' in LIBERTY on the obverse, no color is observed adjacent to the rim. From my experience, color (usually) progresses from the rim to the center.

Some of the areas on the reverse are troubling as well. More specifically, the color within "America" and the color from about 7 o'clock to 9 o'clock appears to follow an unnatural progression. These colors are just "too good to be true" for a Walker.

I see no problem areas on this coin, so I am having a tough time figuring out why someone would artificially tone a seemingly high grade piece.

This may be unnecessary commentary for an obviously AT coin for some, but I tried to work through it as much as possible to explain my thought process.

No, that coin does not look right. It looks absolutely, 100% AT. There are a number of flags, one of them being that the obverse and reverse look very different.

That seller used to be a member of the boards, but he hasn't posted here in a long time. However, much of what he sells now is AT, or questionable at best. He makes no statement of this, and only says "look at the pictures and decide if it is market acceptable to you." I find this practice... questionable. Of his current 75 coin listings, I would strongly caution against 28 of them. Stay far away from that coin.

The coin is 100% AT, but the doctoring was better than average.

I agree with Jason regarding the seller.

I used to anticipate his listings on a weekly basis. He is no longer in my favorite sellers list.

Thanks guys....I was thinking the same, but just starting my observations and close study of multi-color toning on different coin types. I had never seen a Walker toned like that, or a coin tone so differently on opposite sides. this NT/AT topic I find kind of fascinating. I find it interesting even the two TPGs fall in observable different camps of what is termed as market acceptable toning characteristic or colors. Anyway thanks guys.

Who is this eBay seller? Just curious, because I don't want to buy an AT listing.

There are lots of AT coins on Ebay. You would be far better served to learn the characteristics of AT and avoid all AT coins than to just avoid a particular seller.

Who is this eBay seller? Just curious, because I don't want to buy an AT listing.

There are lots of AT coins on Ebay. You would be far better served to learn the characteristics of AT and avoid all AT coins than to just avoid a particular seller.

I can do both. :)

I know little about walkers, but PCGS price guide says this is a $1300 coin in MS64. Is that right?

To back up what PF3.14 is saying, this seller here sells coins on consignment. I have seem some incredibly Artificially toned coins, and I've seen more incredible naturally toned coins that this seller listed/sold. A couple of my favorite toners came from this seller, and they are natural. .. (in my own opinion, and the 3rd party's who straight graded them).

This seller quite regularly lists very amazing toners. IMO