• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Couple raw Walkers - grade opinions

8 posts in this topic

Both of these gals are raw and thought I'd get some grade opinions.

The 39-S is a real beauty to these eyes. Nice strike for an S mint which would turn out to be much harder to find over the next several years.

39%20obv_zps6klzl7oh.jpg39-s%20revv_zpsvzz4y6kx.jpg

Next is a 16-S. This coin is delightful to look at, and is otherwise uncirculated, though I'm not sure how they would view (what appears to be) stacking rub on the eagle's and liberty's breast that has worn though the mint frost layer. Other than the aforementioned, the only distracting thing about it is the tic between the T and Y. I'm guessing AU58

1916s%20obv_zpshykrjios.jpg16s%20rev_zpsaiyquudd.jpg

1939-S -- MS65

1916-S -- MS63 (assuming the dark spots on the eagle's breast are exaggerated in your flat light images) IMO, there is way too much luster for a grade of AU58, and a little bit of flattness on the breast and leg are quite common on fully UNC coins.

1916-S -- MS63 (assuming the dark spots on the eagle's breast are exaggerated in your flat light images) IMO, there is way too much luster for a grade of AU58, and a little bit of flattness on the breast and leg are quite common on fully UNC coins.

Yes, with my lighting setup I have to flood them with light and turn the exposure down a bit to produce just "OK" photos, but they tend to over-exaggerate any flaws. In looking at it in hand, it is not nearly as noticeable. Doesn't help that the sun has not shone here in a while and I need the natural light to help reduce the reliance on the desk lights I have clamped to my copy stand.

My first impression, albeit the pictures are on my phone, so if I had them on my computer screen I might think differently, was 65 on the 39. the 1916 doesn't look AU to me, the eagles chest looks a little beat up but it still goes MS for me....Id go 62 -63.

Is that a staple scratch across most of the reverse of the 1939? (starts on right wing, across breast, down to his leg). If so, the coin will be an UNC details - albeit an attractive, well struck, lustrous other-wise gem. If it is not a staple scratch, it may be a 65. With the marks on Liberty's legs on teh obverse, I really like it better at 64.

I know that the TPGs usually don't punish the friction on the high points, but I'm not a fan. I'd call it AU-58, but it could be as high as 63 on a good day at a TPG.

Is that a staple scratch across most of the reverse of the 1939?

That is a die crack which is quite common on the 39-S. It is actually somewhat difficult to find one without it!

This is one I used to own, which was in a small white anacs 65 holder.

39-S%20rev_zpsvziizvw6.jpg

Although the 16-S is well struck up; I don't like the black spots on Liberty's breast or on the eagle's breast feathers. At worst it could be rub (possible 58 slider or AU details) and at best it is unsightly.

That 39-S has about as good of a strike, as I've ever seen for the issue and the luster is there. IMHO the 39-S stands the best chance of straight-grading and also of grading the highest. It looks 65 or 66 to me.

PCGS said MS64 on the 16-S. I guess they liked it, I sure did too. But you have to believe me now that my photos make those "spots" on the high points look like spots rather than just breaks in the frost which is what they really are.

39-S is in with PCGS under an economy submission received right before the end of the last quarterly special, on 12/30 or so and I hope to have grades next week.