• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difficult Coins to Find Nicely Toned...

14 posts in this topic

or with any toning to be honest...

I have always wondered what dates/mint-marks are exceedingly rare to find with toning across different series...

I know toned Peace $ so I can say that the 1927 - 1935 dates/mintmarks are very difficult to find with nice toning. This is obvious because 1) these are the low mintage years and 2) since they are the low mintage years less of them were used in display frames and stored in other ways that impart toning. Finding a monster toned 1927-1935 Peace $ is very tough - so is finding a 1921.

What other series / dates / mint-marks are difficult to find nicely toned or even with any toning ??

SLQs come to mind, but there are a few nice ones out there.

The lack of nice toning on Peace dollars is magnified by the spectacular colors that can be found on earlier Morgans.

Clad modern coins are tough across the board. For Morgans there are certain dates/MMs that are hard to find with nice color but I'm sure that it is highly correlated with the number available in MS64 and up.

or with any toning to be honest...

I

"With any toning" completely changes the question and answers, as compared to "nicely toned".

In the latter category I would include business strike Seated Dollars.

When looking at Proof Jefferson Nickels, the 1960s and 1970s are easy.

The 1950s are very tough to locate nice examples. I currently have a

1952 and 1955 that are in TPG plastic. And I really only know of a few

other really nice examples from the 1950s that are in collectors' hands.

The proof silver coinage are tougher to come by in the early 1950s as well.

I have been working on a toned 1950-1964 proof set for the last 6 months or

so. So, I have limited but enough experience, not to mention what I have

been able to learn from other collectors with a similar focus.

SLQs come to mind, but there are a few nice ones out there.

Agreed.

Also, I would say Walkers. They are very tough to find with attractive toning - especially in high grade. More times than not, the toning will be splotchy and ugly. Luckily, the Malibu Collection featured some very nice ones and I picked three of those up. I'm currently putting together a short set of toned Walkers and I am rarely coming across them. Just for fun, here's the latest I found:

1943-S PCGS 66+

AF60C723-4D5A-4FD0-845D-E0548A6CF6A9_zpswldvdan6.jpg

Tyler

I really like that 1917 SLQ. I wish I had swooped in faster when that email blast went out, but alas I am still looking. Anyway, here are some examples from my collection. I believe the SBA dollars are the hardest of all series (at least 20 years old) to find nicely toned (doesn't hurt that they were only made for 4 years), but I've had a devil of a time trying to get a nice Liberty Nickel. I apologize for the big pictures.

NGC MS66*

aDyOBaOqT1ufzwfHgUDg_1926%2025c%20MS66*%20obv.jpg

v1MLEKDSSEizp8AeK0rI_1926%2025c%20MS66*%20rev.jpg

NGC MS67*

UCcF6XRBSfqvGTwhI4zP_1937%2050c%20MS67*%20obv.jpg

Y83GdmKOSZmCzR6gzrC0_1937%2050c%20MS67*%20rev.jpg

PCGS MS66+

QWPV49xkSGKmaOKl4XIa_1968-D%2025c%20MS66%2B%20TrueView.jpg

PCGS MS66

SzOHScFXRGmq29DTUDlw_1980-D%20%241%20MS66%20obv4.jpg

PCGS MS66

LyoFrqobQh6IDJE7HTn7_1979-D%20%241%20MS66%20obv2.jpg

Contrary to opinion here there are a good number of nicely toned SLQs out there...but no more than Buffalos or Mercs though. Mercs are scarce with toning on the early issues but no where near as hard to find as early Walkers. The later issues are far easier especially the Mercs.

From what I've seen over the years Bust Halves and Morgans seem to have a good number to go around. In Capped Bust coinage the Quarters seem to be the hardest to find with toning...in my limited experience with them.

My favorite SLQ...I wish I had kept it.

25c-17d1_small_zps5ae95d9a.jpg

jom

I think there are far more nicely toned Buffalo nickels and Mercury dimes than SLQs. We see pictures of the former all the time on these boards. Obviously, MS population numbers are a part of that. Also, I've probably seen more nicely toned Peace dollars than SLQs (or Liberty nickels). I agree about the Walkers - I can't think of a single nicely toned early date example (and I'd love to see one).

1950 P&D Franklins,

1959 D Franklins,

1960 D Franklins.

D mint for 1940 - 1943 Washingtons.

One that was a BIG surprise to me, was 1963-D Washingtons, given that well over 135,000,000 were minted, and that Franklins of the same date/mm are RELATIVELY easy to find decently toned.