• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo Proof Giveaway - YN's only

14 posts in this topic

I recently received a certificate for 5 photo proofs as part of my Registry award. I've already had images of all my coins done, so I've arranged with NGC to transfer the certificate to some worthy person.

If any interested Young Numismatist would write something in this thread about their favorite coin, I'll choose one response and ask NGC to award them a new certificate.

Well I might be to old, being 20 but I'll give it a shot

I would have to say that the Walking Liberty Half dollar is one of my favorite coins, I just find it so beautiful, the amount of effort the engraver put into it, the flow and the ripple of the flag wrapped around Lady Liberty is just so fluid, I find it amazing. To me it has a timeless sense of beauty.

Cheers

I think the American Silver Eagle is one of the most beautiful coins minted in my time that I can afford. I would love to be able to collect a gold coin and have never seen a Platinum. I have been able to collect all the years silver proofs since I started collecting coins last year.

I am an 18 year old collector from Connecticut. My favorite coin in my collection is an 1856 $2.50 Gold Liberty. This coin is graded as AU 58. The reason that this is my favorite coin is due to two factors; the history and the work that was done to buy it.

This coin is pedigreed as being in the Harry W. Bass Collection. From this information, I have been able to trace a good deal of this coin's lineage and see when it was sold originally from the Bass Collection. I was instantly intrigued and enamored by the enormous collection that Bass acquired throughout his lifetime. This interest made me research one of America’s greatest numismatists even more. I was able to learn about different die varieties and states and the differences that they make in coins. I was also able to view different rarities that Bass owned, such as the 1841 $2.50 “Little Princess” as well as countless others. Due to the simple pedigree, I was able to research and learn so much about numismatics.

To acquire this coin I had to work very hard in order to build up necessary funds to afford it. Although not an rarity in AU 58 condition, the 1856 $2.50 Liberty still commands a pretty penny, especially for a teenager. I worked for several weekends (due to being in high school at the time) in order to garner the necessary money. The work made me realize how to achieve goals and to acquire what I desired. It also taught me the importance of getting a good education so that I can obtain a job that will allow me to continue to expand my collection.

Since purchasing the 1856 $2.50 Liberty, I have expanded my collection significantly. However, the most important and favorite coin that remains is my first major numismatic purchase, Harry Bass’s quarter eagle. This coin has taught me so much about the world of numismatics. This coin will forever be a part of my collection. Although it may not be the most expensive coin in the world, the meaning far surpasses any monetary value associated with it. The 1856 $2.50 Liberty Head Gold Coin is my favorite coin with its silky golden surfaces and rich history.

Thanks!

Since I am 13 I guess I just get under the age cutoff cool.gif

My favorite would definetly have to be the morgan dollar.The third coin I ever bought and my first to be a over a 100 years old was an AU Morgan that was prooflike.I really love morgans though and I would say it's due to many reasons.First off there are so many dates you are sure to find a coin to match any budget.Also there are many Pl morgans wich is nice and some have spectacular toning.Plus the design is just beautiful and was one of the high points of us coin design.Then there is just the alure of them. They bring thoughts of the wild west to mind.I can see it now a cowboy paying for a beer in a saloon with a morgan dollar.The thing is that even well circulated morgans are intresting.You can just imagine the story these coins would tell about where they have been and what they have purchased.Well there you go theres my favorite coin the Morgan dollar.

21 seems like a good cutoff. I'll pick one response on next Monday.

I behave like I'm 5 years old sometimes, does that count?

Leo 27_laughing.gif

Seriously, I wish the best of luck to the participants! thumbsup2.gif

My favorite would definetly have to be the morgan dollar.The third coin I ever bought and my first to be a over a 100 years old was an AU Morgan that was prooflike.I really love morgans though and I would say it's due to many reasons.First off there are so many dates you are sure to find a coin to match any budget.Also there are many Pl morgans wich is nice and some have spectacular toning.Plus the design is just beautiful and was one of the high points of us coin design.Then there is just the alure of them. They bring thoughts of the wild west to mind.I can see it now a cowboy paying for a beer in a saloon with a morgan dollar.The thing is that even well circulated morgans are intresting.You can just imagine the story these coins would tell about where they have been and what they have purchased.Well there you go theres my favorite coin the Morgan dollar.

I thought you didn't like Morgans,Travis? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Congrats to Libertycoins! I'll send Dena a PM asking her to reissue the certificate to you. Enjoy!

That was a good call you made, TDN.

Notice how the give away brought out one time posters ne'er to return? That's too bad.

I did like the response by Libertycoins. I remember that I got fifty bucks for Christmas in 1976 when I was ten and bought a 1914 D Lincoln from the bid board at the local coin shop. Even though youngsters don't have much funds, they make up for it with the pure joy of enthusiasm.