• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PVC?

11 posts in this topic

There is a chance it is, based on the consolidated green spots I'm seeing. It's pretty common to see coins slip through with PVC. Maybe they interpreted it as some other kind of residue, original 1930s silver often develops a green translucent hazy patina, though that doesn't explain the spots.

I've heard people describe PVC residue as both active and inactive, and that the graders will not encapsulate a coin with active PVC residue. I'm not sure what the difference would be, or if this is even a thing.

I still can't understand why collectors continue to submit coins for grading with PVC on them. It's not that hard to remove it.

I also can't understand why the grading services allow PVC covered coins to go into holders. They should contact the owners ask them to let the grading company remove it. Leaving the stuff on the coin in the holder is a problem for both owner and the grading service.

I still can't understand why collectors continue to submit coins for grading with PVC on them. It's not that hard to remove it.

I also can't understand why the grading services allow PVC covered coins to go into holders. They should contact the owners ask them to let the grading company remove it. Leaving the stuff on the coin in the holder is a problem for both owner and the grading service.

I agree Bill, but is it possible that this coin had PVC on it when submitted that was not visible, and became that way once in the holder?

Maybe the submitter put them in a PVC flip for only a short time, prior to submission. He/She didn't bother with an acetone bath once removed because he/she couldn't visibly see anything on the coin. He/She submitted them and voila, the PVC that was left on the coin got worse with time. Is that even possible? I don't know, just asking.

I agree Bill, but is it possible that this coin had PVC on it when submitted that was not visible, and became that way once in the holder?

Maybe the submitter put them in a PVC flip for only a short time, prior to submission. He/She didn't bother with an acetone bath once removed because he/she couldn't visibly see anything on the coin. He/She submitted them and voila, the PVC that was left on the coin got worse with time. Is that even possible? I don't know, just asking.

PVC resident gets on a coin when it is stored in an old holder that is breaking down. A coin can be stored in a NEW PCC bearing holder without damage or risk of getting the residue on it for a short time. It's when the coin stays in the holder for than a year that the problems really start.

PVC resident gets on a coin when it is stored in an old holder that is breaking down. A coin can be stored in a NEW PCC bearing holder without damage or risk of getting the residue on it for a short time. It's when the coin stays in the holder for than a year that the problems really start.

Even new PVC will leach chemicals if the environment is right. It is a function of heat and humidity.

I'm a little confused by this answer. Are you saying that the older TPG holders had PVC in them? Do you believe the OP's coin had this PVC visible on the coin when it was graded?

So let's say someone stores a coin in a holder that contains PVC. It's in there for maybe 2 months. You can't see anything visible, but prior to the coin being graded and holdered, the PVC was not removed because it couldn't be seen. Would it stay that way in the holder or would it get worse?

I'm not sure how PVC reacts over time. If a coin was in a holder containing PVC even if only for a short time, is there still future risk to the coin?

I'm a little confused by this answer. Are you saying that the older TPG holders had PVC in them? Do you believe the OP's coin had this PVC visible on the coin when it was graded?

So let's say someone stores a coin in a holder that contains PVC. It's in there for maybe 2 months. You can't see anything visible, but prior to the coin being graded and holdered, the PVC was not removed because it couldn't be seen. Would it stay that way in the holder or would it get worse?

I'm not sure how PVC reacts over time. If a coin was in a holder containing PVC even if only for a short time, is there still future risk to the coin?

The older holders do not contain PVC; he was likely referring to an old flip that is beginning to break down, as they often do.

A PVC flip should NEVER be used for coins, period. There is no conceivable reason to, in the modern era. The residue can begin to leach out immediately, if the air is warm and humid.

Our host does just that. In my last submission one of my coins had PVC that I just did not see. I was contacted by NGC and was asked if I would like them to conserve it. For $25 bucks my problem was solved.

Our host does just that. In my last submission one of my coins had PVC that I just did not see. I was contacted by NGC and was asked if I would like them to conserve it. For $25 bucks my problem was solved.