• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What might it grade ? WLH

19 posts in this topic

If the darker toning is translucent and not opaque, I'd grade it 66. Otherwise, either 64 or 65.

Wow... so by translucent you mean able to bee seen through ? Im kinda lost by your statement though.

Can you as a former grader provide a learning experience and expound on why darker rim toning might knock it down 2 full grades ? ( I dont disagree I just want to know why.)

I agree with Mark. The toning would be far more attractive if translucent. If not it's almost like environmental damage. "If" it has full luster, it's an MS 65 coin IMO.

Many of these were dipped. Check for cartwheel.

If the darker toning is translucent and not opaque, I'd grade it 66. Otherwise, either 64 or 65.

Wow... so by translucent you mean able to bee seen through ? Im kinda lost by your statement though.

Can you as a former grader provide a learning experience and expound on why darker rim toning might knock it down 2 full grades ? ( I dont disagree I just want to know why.)

I think what Mark is saying is, if this coin is lustrous and attractive, and the toning gleams with the luster, then it is probably an attractive coin and may get bumped up to 66 (because of the good toning/luster/eye appeal). If it is dark, thick, unattractive toning which impedes the luster, the coin will get bumped down to 64 (because of the bad toning/luster/eye appeal).

I think what Mark is saying is, if this coin is lustrous and attractive, and the toning gleams with the luster, then it is probably an attractive coin and may get bumped up to 66 (because of the good toning/luster/eye appeal). If it is dark, thick, unattractive toning which impedes the luster, the coin will get bumped down to 64 (because of the bad toning/luster/eye appeal).

Exactly...that is the first thing I thought of when I viewed the photo. Just by the way the photo was taken you can't really tell down near the date nor around "half dollar" on the reverse if the luster can be seen through the color.

jom

That's close enough ;)

Some of the toning on each side looks very dark and possibly etched into the surfaces, to the point of environmental damage. If so, it could negatively impact the grade. But if not, the coin looks very nice. And yes "translucent" as in being able to see through the toning to the surface of the coin.My guess is that it will look better, in hand.

I also like the coin, but I think it has a PVC spot on Liberty's leg and several places on the reverse; and thus probably a PVC haze exists over much of the coin.

It seems like at least an MS65 coin, otherwise.

Toning doesn't look too bad. It is darker on the bottom rim of the obverse and reverse. Luster is decent but not superior. I'm at MS 65 with this coin, unless there are marks or hairlines that I can't see from the images. That would knock it down to 64 or so.

Thanks everyone for the comments and explanations.

And yes I saw the green spots and an acetone bath will hopefully take care of them . I was thinking this coin was a AU/BU slider. Well I guess I suck at grading WLHs.

Even at MS64 its a pretty cool purchase. But at 65 or 66 its a great pickup.

If it does grade, I would say MS-63 or 64. The 63 or lower grades might result from dull luster. Going strictly by the photo, the coin appears to have a satiny dull luster that is sometime indicative of having been dipped either multiple times or one time that was over the top. I have seen Walkers with original surfaces from the teens and twenties that had this type of satiny luster, but by the thirties most coins were brighter.

It all comes down to the what the cartwheel luster looks like. If it is dull an muted then the coin is lower end Mint State grade or perhaps a not grade. If the luster is unbroken and reasonably strong, it could grade up to MS-65, although I think that is a stretch. I can't see this piece grading higher than that because of the marks in the obverse field.

Looks like a shot MS65... Some of the lower obverse peripheral toning might be pushing terminal for the tastes of some but it's still far nicer then the dipped out TPG regularly seen. The mild PVC on both the obverse/reverse is mild and will remove quickly. So even if it details grades (shouldn't) at $25 how can you go wrong as that's quality pizza money... So congrats! :)