• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade?

10 posts in this topic

Will the debris on this Jefferson nickel keep it from grading? There are two fragments beneath UNITED, one beneath the first L in MONTICELLO and another west of the U in UNUM.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

PICT0028_zpszcakvhaj.jpg

I have seen them graded with small carbon spots before but that one on the L looks bad. That is too bad because it looks like a solid 5 step coin (almost 6 but it looks like the 6th step under column 4 to the far right doesn't quite touch the side),

I have heard of people using a very soft toothpick and gently try to remove the spot. I have never tried it myself so I have no direct knowledge that it will work. You might ask NCS?

Good luck,

Doug

I have seen them graded with small carbon spots before but that one on the L looks bad.

Good luck,

Doug

agreed

Will the debris on this Jefferson nickel keep it from grading?

along with the bad carbon spot on the letter L i think it will no grade at NGC

and IF BY SOME CHANCE it does grade both the debris and carbon spot will greatly

limit the grade in my opinion

sorry to say

Will the debris on this Jefferson nickel keep it from grading? There are two fragments beneath UNITED, one beneath the first L in MONTICELLO and another west of the U in UNUM.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

This looks like a nice original coin, and the tiny back flecks will absolutely not prevent it from grading. They may, however, prevent it from grading gem.

I have heard of people using a very soft toothpick and gently try to remove the spot. I have never tried it myself so I have no direct knowledge that it will work.

You MIGHT be able to pop that raise lump below the L, but the dark circle around it will still be there. And if it has eaten into the surface you will have a dark circle around a hole.