• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how do you look at your coins?

16 posts in this topic

as a newish collector, I now have a 10x lighted loupe. But i am beginning to realize that there are so much to coins that cant be seen with 10x. I have a PCGS 1950 S MS67+ roosevelt dime that i think has an S/S (inverted) mint mark. Because i can not see it clearly with my 10x I just purchased a 40x loupe.

what does everyone else use?

I am also trying to add pictures for my coins and am looking at USB cameras, any recommendations for USB cameras?

If you can't see it with a 10x, it isn't worth it. Something like an S/S should be clearly seen with a 10x. I have a 10x, and that's all I use. I get so frustrated at people who post the most trivial nonsense they saw or shot with their electron microscope.

If you can't see it with a 10x, it isn't worth it. Something like an S/S should be clearly seen with a 10x. I have a 10x, and that's all I use. I get so frustrated at people who post the most trivial nonsense they saw or shot with their electron microscope.

+1

To me a coin isn't a "real" variety unless it can be seen by the unaided eye, otherwise, what's the point?

FWIW, I use a 5X loupe most of the time, and have a 7X that I'll use if I feel the point in question on the coin needs it.

To follow up a bit on the comments above. True varieties should be reasonably visible to the naked eye and clearly visible with 10X magnification IMO too. Take Vam dollars. There are thousands of varieties but really just the top 100 are sought after. These are almost all visible to the naked eye.

The lesser known Vams are relegated to "also ran" status largely because they're hard to see.

I have a nice desk lamp, and since I focus on Franklins, I haven't really used my loupe very often.

For Roosevelts... you probably just need a 5/10x loupe to enjoy them/look for varieties.

I wouldn't advise getting an expensive camera; a good smartphone works fine, and you can get stuff professionally imaged at a relatively small expense.

"How do you look at your coins?"

Under a bright light, although looking at a couple I bought when I first started collecting (and still unbelievably haven't sold), you would wonder if I purchased them in the dark.

On a more serious note, it depends on the coin. For larger coins, like Morgan Dollars, Double Eagles, and half dollars, I actually grade and enjoy them without a loupe. Of course, if there is a suspect area, I will loupe them. For the smaller stuff, I have both 5x and 10x loupes.

There are lots of great varieties that you cannot see with the naked eye. To say "if you can not see it without a loupe....it's not wort it".......is silly.

I use a 3X for general use and a 16X for varieties.

as a newish collector, I now have a 10x lighted loupe. But i am beginning to realize that there are so much to coins that cant be seen with 10x. I have a PCGS 1950 S MS67+ roosevelt dime that i think has an S/S (inverted) mint mark. Because i can not see it clearly with my 10x I just purchased a 40x loupe.

what does everyone else use?

I am also trying to add pictures for my coins and am looking at USB cameras, any recommendations for USB cameras?

The grading services view coins in a dark room and under a desk lamp. Magnification is not used when grading coins, only to inspect for alterations and other suspicious elements. If one attempts to grade a coin using 10X magnification, it will usually result in "micro grading," which over-emphasizes tiny flaws. Small coins might warrant a 5X lens for easier viewing, and I find that a 5x is good for casual enjoyment of most coins.

We all have different eyes and may need something different. I use a 3+6=9. It helps me to image a coin and view it on the monitor. I find things I missed with a glass.

For anything half-dollar or larger virtually all inspection should be done with the naked eye in good lighting conditions. I use a loupe only to inspect areas of particular interest. For smaller coins I still make a grading estimation visually and then confirm what I think I'm seeing with a loupe.

If you're a variety guy, all of that changes. When I look at a coin for the first time eye appeal & luster are evaluated first, then strike, then surfaces. I also like photographing coins before making a buy decision. It's amazing what the camera can bring out sometimes.