• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1949 D MS67 STAR

11 posts in this topic

I purchased this coin not too long ago and I was looking at it for designation review for FT. two questions....

1. Full Torch?

2. D/D mint mark? or double punch? I do not know if those are the same or different... what do you all think...

I can not find anything about D/D...

https://collectivecoin.com/david41279/MNRaF3jZjthquUXX4fe2/vDU0SEQ9EDh4iys76gOb

Ey6KywVgRwqsqiLxYTCW_P_20151104_184840.jpg

The Mint Mark itself is probably machine doubled. However, it looks like there could be just a trace of something north and east of the primary D, in the from of a couple tiny lumps of metal.

There is one RPM known for 1949-D, but it is not known to be this wide.

The coin is full torch (full bands) in appearance. The coin might be disqualified if it has a significant hit right on the torch however. That's a completely different thing from whether or not the coin is a D/D or not.

Generally, when the doubling appears shelf or step like and not rounded, the doubling was caused by the machine and has no premium. As was discussed, if there's turning of the mintmark or one is northeast, southwest etc. of the other, then you might be onto something.

I am sending this for FT designation at some point.... Should i bother pointing the mint mark out on invoice for evaluation? If so, I have only submitted to a company once. how do i point it out? Thanks for everyones help and knowledge

I am sending this for FT designation at some point.... Should i bother pointing the mint mark out on invoice for evaluation? If so, I have only submitted to a company once. how do i point it out? Thanks for everyones help and knowledge

Before you do that, make sure it is a variety that NGC will designate. They only designate ones they think are worth it. If it is one they designate, you will have to use the Variety Plus service, and it will be an additional fee. For the coin you have posted, it most likely isn't worth it.

Before you do that, make sure it is a variety that NGC will designate. They only designate ones they think are worth it. If it is one they designate, you will have to use the Variety Plus service, and it will be an additional fee. For the coin you have posted, it most likely isn't worth it.

NGC does not recognize the known RPM for 1949-D.

I think the coin would meet PCGS FB (full bands) criteria, and may meet NGC's FT (full torch) criteria, but I think it will also lose the star (I see nothing star-worthy about the coin based on today's standards for that designation at NGC).

Remember, NGC's "full torch" designation requires both the horizontal bands to be split, as well as the vertical bands to be well defined. The lower left vertical bands are a bit smashed on this one. PCGS only looks at the horizontal bands, and calls Roosevelt dimes "full bands".