• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will it grade ?

24 posts in this topic

Steel wheat cents are very hard to find with color... unless they are clean/retoned or processed...

I cant tell if this one has been processed or not... anyone have any idea if its been processed ? I dont think its AT but who knows...

Thumbnails click on for larger photos...

s_l500.jpg

s_l5002.jpg

Usually, toning on the steel cents is very subtle. The linked example illustrates this well. The coin in the OP appears to have stronger colors, unlike what I normally see on toned steel cents. The pictures are really hard to interpret - can you try taking better pictures?

Based on the pictures given, I'm going to say this coin had some help.

I can't tell you anything based on those images. It is very possible that a natural patina has developed on this, but probably more likely that it is environmentally damaged and not gradable.

I recommend that if you want a steel cent in a certification holder that you BUY one in a certification holder. I would not buy one of these coins with color, especially a RAW one with color. I think I paid $25 for one in a PCGS holder. It was listed in the price guide for less than that.

Do yourself a favor and FOREGET steel cents with color.

If you want to see what an original surface steel cent looks, check out the photo of the piece in my type set. The finish is frosty, not bright.

I know you passion, but not every type of coin supports it.

I can't give an informed opinion from those photos. In fact, I would really need to see the coin in hand to make a determination, and I'm not one who usually says that.

I'm not an expert on copper toning patterns, but this one looks AT to me. I'll be curious to see what others reply.

Well first, this coin is not copper ;)

LMAO. I barely looked at the obverse....DOH.

There is a photo of a zinc coated steel 1942 experimental piece with exceptional toning in my book "Pattern and Experimental Pieces of WW-II." Even there, it is muted and certainly nothing like one would see on bronze or silver.

The Steel cent in the link that sold on eBay was mine. I have several that look similar, all taken from the same roll. I have another NGC MS67 with even better color than the MS66 I sold. I was surprised by how much the MS66 sold for. Get ahold of me if your interested in them.

The photos are the sellers. I dont have it in hand yet. And while the Ebay linked coin is beautiful I already have a toned NGC MS66 1943-S. I trying to find the P & D mints now to complete the set.

Ive seen several 43-S that have toned and been certified. The colors on the reverse on this coin are not that much different than the one I have that is certified so Im less concerned the toning passing muster. I just cant tell if this coin has been processed since the surface color doesnt seem quit right to a MS steel cent.

Funny no one addressed my question about it being processed...

Did you say how much it is selling for? To decide: Add up that price and the grading price. Then divide by avg cost of Jack n Cokes or a dinner for two @ IHOP. Now decide if owning it , ungradable will give you more enjoyment than spending the money on the other two.

IF the issue is funds are limited for ya right now then I suggest not buying coins, especially ones which are a gamble.

Personally I find $20 every couple weeks disposable. I can save that by brown bagging my lunch for a few days or not drinking out for a night when I need to rationalize it to myself.

Did you say how much it is selling for? To decide: Add up that price and the grading price. Then divide by avg cost of Jack n Cokes or a dinner for two @ IHOP. Now decide if owning it , ungradable will give you more enjoyment than spending the money on the other two.

IF the issue is funds are limited for ya right now then I suggest not buying coins, especially ones which are a gamble.

Personally I find $20 every couple weeks disposable. I can save that by brown bagging my lunch for a few days or not drinking out for a night when I need to rationalize it to myself.

It was $12... not really a big investment however you add it up or divide it.

I rarely pay huge premiums for toned coins unless they happen to be toned Peace $ and its an upgrade in either grade or color and the premium isnt astronomical - which most tend to be.

So at this point most of the "fun" of collecting is assembling complete toned sets by cherry picking/purchasing lower priced raw MS toned coins and getting them into slabs either PCGS or NGC. Over the years I have had about a 90% success rate.

AT vs NT isnt really my short coming on this coin. It is regards whether the coin is processed. Which apparently by the lack of comments on that issue seems to be too hard to tell from the photos, which is what i originally thought as well and I took a $12 gamble.

"Funny no one addressed my question about it being processed..."

I do not know about it being funny, but questions presented in threads are often ignored. People are easily led astray by their own concerns, bias and personal agendas.

I do not know about it being funny, but questions presented in threads are often ignored. People are easily led astray by their own concerns, bias and personal agendas.

More likely, it is difficult to tell from these pictures how it has been treated/mistreated. We focused on what we knew - those colors are unusual.

More likely, it is difficult to tell from these pictures how it has been treated/mistreated. We focused on what we knew - those colors are unusual.

My comment was a general observation directed at no one in particular, or any particular instance.

Quoted for truth... Being someone that has seen probably less than 100 1943 Lincolns in my entire life, I was hoping that someone might be able to tell better than I even from a photo. Alas photos suck.

But at least I didnt get everyone saying it was blatantly a processed coin, so I guess that good.