• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are these bullion commemorative issues not proofs ? Link added down the page

6 posts in this topic

The blanks are certainly pre-strike polished, the dies must be also, in order to look like they do. Is it a matter of the strike pressure, or just a single striking ?

I had always assumed they were proof just based on their appearance.

Paul

The 2020 $1 Kentucky whiskey commemoratives will only be made at 80 proof. That might answer your question when it's asked in five years.

The blanks are certainly pre-strike polished, the dies must be also, in order to look like they do. Is it a matter of the strike pressure, or just a single striking ?

I had always assumed they were proof just based on their appearance.

Paul

The U.S. silver and gold eagles are struck in both the Proof and Mint State formats.

I would classify that as reverse proof. It may be because the mint sells those as bullion and not as a collector proof. Anyway it is getting harder and harder to tell what is what with all the combination of finishes.

Also I believe they sell an official proof version.