• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Herd of Elephants at the RNA by Congo Kid

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

My display at our club's annual coins show.

I entered a display for our club's annual coins show this past weekend. The club is certainly one of the more famous coin clubs in America. It is the Rochester Numismatic Association, aka RNA. John J. Pittman is a former member, and I was fortunate enough to meet him shortly before his death, and get to know his wife and daughter soon after his death.

The coins that I displayed were 17 Belgian Congo coins that depicted elephants on them, including general release coins and rare to extremely rare patterns. Some of the general release coins are the finest graded and some of the patterns are the only ones graded. There was even one error piece for good measure.

16995.jpg

See more journals by Congo Kid

Nice coins! Esp like the hexagonal piece.

Were any of the elephants named "Horton?"

Are elephant coins heaver than ones with birds or mice on them?

lol, much heavier!

Notice the copper hexagonal piece dated 1944. Super pretty and super rare.

I'm waiting for another 2 Franc steel pattern to come back form PCGS. I hate that wait time.

Thanks for looking.

Great exhibit. A perfect example of what one can do with coins and a little imagination. The RNA was always a very active club and always had interesting discussions at meetings and great displays at their shows.

I lived in Rochester mid 1973 through mid 1975 and had the privilege of knowing John J. Pittman, viewing lots of his coins and listening to his interesting stories at the monthly RNA meetings. I would see him regularly at ANA Conventions after I left Rochester. He was one of the most gracious and friendly collectors I have ever known.

Tom

@Tommy44 I only was able to meet Mr. Pittman once shortly before he passed away. But I was quite lucky enough to get to handle and view a good number of his coins in person before they went to auction at private viewings at a local bank's private room. That was a great experience.for sure. I still have a few coins from his collection, including one very impressive coin in my Belgian Congo collection. some of the older members still speak about Mr. Pittman's stories.

The club still runs twice a month and there are still great informational talks. If you are ever in town stop by as a guest. I moved to California for 15 years and maintained my membership all that time. I am back now.