• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1941-D Toned Roll

42 posts in this topic

I can't wait to see the other coins from the roll. I'm sure there are some stunners in there.

SSF...I have posted all 35 coins I imaged on my website at:

http://www.macrocoins.com/1941-d-toned-roll.html

The response to this roll was way more enthusiastic than I expected. I ended up choosing 3 coins that I wanted to keep, but the remaining coins are all gone! I have a few coins that I held back for various reasons and may image and post them, but generally the roll sold out in just a few days. Makes me think I sold them for too little...Ray

PS, my photos were taken with "normal" lighting from around 75-degrees. For one coin (#35-36), which sold for big $, I took additional photo of the obverse using pseudo-axial (tilted coin) lighting to show the deep color it showed. Many other coins also showed similar colors but not to as great an extent. Anyway, here's the #35-36 with different lighting:

41D%20Toned%20Roll%20Obv18.jpg

Ho. Lee. .

And I am very pleased with the one that I got :)

I took some images of one of the 41-D coins I kept with a new lens and lighting system. In one image, I took the shot straight-on with fairly direct but no-reflective lighting. The other, I inclined the coin 5-deg using a goniometer, and the camera 5-deg using a tilt adapter. Here is an animation going from the straight-on shot to the tilted shot and back. The straight-on shot is less diffuse than my original shots, which had a lot of diffusion. The tilted shot it "pseudo-axial", ie the lights shine directly off the coin surface and toward the lens.

Comments welcome!

Tilt%20Animation%201.gif

For these coins, I prefer the shot that more clearly shows the color. The color is the star of these coins.

For a normal Lincoln, though, the shot with higher contrast and shadows is probably more pleasing.

For these coins, I prefer the shot that more clearly shows the color. The color is the star of these coins.

For a normal Lincoln, though, the shot with higher contrast and shadows is probably more pleasing.

Totally agree. My setup is now configured to do tilted or straight-on shooting. Even the straight-on shots have more color definition than I had in the original shots of the 41-D roll. I was extremely conservative with my imaging of the roll.

Are there any more available for sale from this roll?

Thx.

I have a few left that I did not image first time around. I will probably re-image the ones I am keeping, and the remaining coins from the roll, and put them up on the website in the next couple days. Keep any eye out there...Ray

Edited to add: OK, they're up on the website!

A few of the 41-D toners have come back with grades. The ones folks have shared have been 66RB, 66+RB, and 67RB. I've updated the grades on my website if folks are interested.

If you purchased a coin, and had it graded, please reply to this thread with the coin number and the received grade and I'll add it to my site. I'm curious what the highest graded coin will turn out to be! It's also instructive for all to see how these graded vs the number of hits, surface conditions, toning, etc.

That was my favorite from the group. Looks even more amazing in that picture!

Another view of it.

Robec_1941dLinc_Ray.jpg

PCGS MS66RB (images 35 & 36)