• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP Old Half Dollar GTG

8 posts in this topic

VG, cleaned.

Since it is old it might get a chance to skate on the cleaning part, but probably not. This is a fairly low grade for one of these coins, and offers an opportunity for a collector on a budget to acquire a piece of early U.S. silver. For that reason I would not have a fit about the cleaning, but it is a factor.

Over time a coin like this can re-tone, but it will take a number of years.

Its in a problem free PCGS slab.

Like I said, they might let it slide.

For this 1796 half dime, which I submitted to NGC several years ago, they did not let it slide. The coin came back in a body bag (They did not put problem coins in holders in those days.), and I ended up losing $1,000 on it.

1796HalfDimeV-1O.jpg1796HalfDimeV-1R.jpg

This is a much more valuable coin so perhaps that had an influence on it.

PCGS is known to do more net grading than NGC. They can take coin that has been lightly cleaned, and if it has VF-30 sharpness, they will grade it Fine-15 for example.

It's hard to say what the graders will do. Even those who are experts in grading coins can't predict what they will with perfect accuracy. The grading services have also given different opinions on multiple submissions.