• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1930 Standing Liberty Quarter GTG (Grade Posted)

27 posts in this topic

MS-64, no full head.

It would be tempting to grade this MS-65, because the size of the photo shows every flaw. A smaller photo shows less. But if I were looking at the coin as a purchase, the first place I would look with a 10X glass would be the head. There I would see the unfortunate hit under Ms. Liberty's ear, which would dissuade me from paying MS-65 money for it.

Whenever I happen to be right playing this game, I consider it more luck than my ability to grade the coin correctly. Nobody can know what the image is hiding.

I figure that I am doing well if I can come within one point either way of the TPG's determination. After all, they have a distinct advantage.

"...the mark in the neck can very easily be a deal breaker..."

I am sure it can be.

I guess it "can be", but I have seen examples with facial marks as bad or worse graded 66.

I am sure it can be.

I guess it "can be", but I have seen examples with facial marks as bad or worse graded 66.

That doesn't make it right ;)

I am sure it can be.

No doubt about it, but such a mark can be a "deal breaker" for a buyer and dealer, when the buyer prefers the head and neck free of such marks. This is what I understood him to mean.

It has been my impression that he grades coins on this forum from a dealer's perspective, and makes little or no attempt to determine what the TPG's grade might be. He uses his own personal standards for grading the coins.

This is just my impression, and I can certainly be wrong.

I am sure it can be.

That doesn't make it right ;)

I agree. But the point was that what might be a deal breaker to many buyers doesn't necessarily deter the grading companies.

I am sure it can be.

No doubt about it, but such a mark can be a "deal breaker" for a buyer and dealer, when the buyer prefers the head and neck free of such marks. This is what I understood him to mean.

It has been my impression that he grades coins on this forum from a dealer's perspective, and makes little or no attempt to determine what the TPG's grade might be. He uses his own personal standards for grading the coins.

This is just my impression, and I can certainly be wrong.

Yes, I grade coins from a dealers' perspective, an advanced collectors' perspective and from many years of personal experience that date back to when I was a teenager in the 1960s. From that time forward I learned that dealers and astute collectors will reject coins with minor problems or quirks or make low ball offers on them.

I could give two grades, the grade that meets my standards and the one that the grading service MIGHT HAVE assigned to the coin. I sometimes mention the latter as I implied when I said that this coin might get an MS-65 grade in my original post. Believe or not I think that NGC and PCGS get it right the majority of the time. They are not out to get you like the "third world" grading services are who have a stronger interest in pleasing the dealers who market their products than the people who buy them.

You might think that I am a grading SOB, but I'm far from the meanest dog in the barnyard. Wait until you run into some the Early American Copper guys, or some of the old time British coin graders. Some of those guys operate under the old marketing strategy, under grade, over price, which used to be a policy of a few firms before third party grading came into effect.

I tend to grade coins relative to the broader market, and I try to be consistent. The EAC guys grade coins according to their higher standards, but the same time they ask prices that are higher than most any of the amounts listed in the standard price guides.

I am sure it can be.

we got good days and bad days to on grading. just saying

I am sure it can be.

It might say "MS-66" on the outside of the holder, but that might not be what is inside the holder.

I am sure it can be.

It might say "MS-66" on the outside of the holder, but that might not be what is inside the holder.

If the coin is otherwise essentially flawless, I would probably disagree with you. There is a difference between not liking a coin due to a flaw, its characteristics, appearance, or a buyer's individual taste, vs. the grade being "incorrect". There are many coins that I don't like and wouldn't buy, but that, in itself, doesn't mean they have been misgraded.