• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counter stamped penny

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's not unusual to find random letters and numerals punched into coins. This was usually done to test a punch that was to be used for applying serial numbers or other information to manufactured parts. There was no intention of giving the coin any special meaning.

I tried counter punching some pocket change a long time ago. But I ended up putting a hammer hole in the kitchen counter. Then I realized "counter punch" was not a literal instruction. My Mom was not happy....I had to mow the yard (2 acres) for free all summer to pay for repairs.

I tried counter punching some pocket change a long time ago. But I ended up putting a hammer hole in the kitchen counter. Then I realized "counter punch" was not a literal instruction. My Mom was not happy....I had to mow the yard (2 acres) for free all summer to pay for repairs.

Did she mention about you being off-center at times?

I have seen many cents with stuff like state outlines, Kennedy, masonic emblem, and other interesting things.

My Mom wanted to know why I did that -- Told her it was "cause I wanted to see what happened. Same response when took apart a clock or dissected a squirrel or built a rocket.