• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for the Album Fans....

12 posts in this topic

and maybe the slab dabblers...

Do you think special release coins should be part of a full set ?

For example, has anyone added all of the special finish JFKs to their Dansco Album or registry set ? (matte, reverse proof, gold)

What about those satin finishes on state quarters ?

Is there even a website or publication where special finish coins can be tracked ?

Albums can be really tough on proof coins. Between hairlines and spots, it's best to just leave them in the mint holders.

When it comes to satin or anything MS, I would not put anything of much value in an album. It's not worth the risk.

"Question for the Album Fans...."

I suspect coin albums are too heavy to make good fans. Something light such as paper on a stick might work better....or maybe the Japanese-type of fan...?

I have had many Dansco albums, and there was never a 'slot' printed for SMS coins that came in special commemorative sets. Spaces for the proof versions start at 1968-S when they have them.

I have seen some people buy blank pages for their denomination to put in the special stuff.

I would think that the album companies would make albums to cover complete sets, and yes, the commemorative, SMS, specimen, silver/gold strikes, etc., would all be part of that set. With that said, I would encourage collectors to define their sets as they see fit based on their individual criteria (as opposed to an album, the Red Book, or what some else suggests to them).

I would think that the album companies would make albums to cover complete sets, and yes, the commemorative, SMS, specimen, silver/gold strikes, etc., would all be part of that set. With that said, I would encourage collectors to define their sets as they see fit based on their individual criteria (as opposed to an album, the Red Book, or what some else suggests to them).

Do any of the album companies do this ? I know Dansco can barely put out new pages no less retool for such massive additions to the base set.

Dansco makes several flavors of albums for moderns. The ATB quarter albums are available as mint-agnostic, P-D only, or all mints and all proofs. I recently bought a silver eagle album that is one per year (1986-2021), but they also make them with all known finishes (although not all known mint packaging options). For current series where the assortment of finishes and metals is volatile from year to year, and you want to chase all of these, it makes the most sense just to buy an unlabeled album and not worry about what the mint is going to throw at you next year.

Dansco makes several flavors of albums for moderns. The ATB quarter albums are available as mint-agnostic, P-D only, or all mints and all proofs. I recently bought a silver eagle album that is one per year (1986-2021), but they also make them with all known finishes (although not all known mint packaging options). For current series where the assortment of finishes and metals is volatile from year to year, and you want to chase all of these, it makes the most sense just to buy an unlabeled album and not worry about what the mint is going to throw at you next year.

Thank you...

As mentioned above, you can make any kind of set you want to. I have minor sets in albums that I just fill up with a variety of finishes. That way you can really compare them. Other sets, I try to get all in AU. With the oddballs: Yes, I did stick the last years UNC Kennedys into the book near the end. I also put a silver Roosey in the 1916D hole in a Merc Whitman, because the real thang ain't ever gonna happen.

You must define your purpose before you can fulfill it.