• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stories of people sitting on super rare coins(s) and/or hoards.

18 posts in this topic

What is coin collecting without story time?

I thought post one where we can share stories about people we know directly or indirectly that have either super rare coin(s) or are just sitting on massive collections.

I do know a guy in upstate New York who has an incredibly massive Seated Dollar collection. He has shown me nearly 500 at once and I know he has more. Are there any 1870-S in there? No idea and I have never asked but from what I have seen he just has tons of them. He has common, low grade ones in rolls like how I put my 'junk' Morgans.

This one falls more into the 'rumor' category but had a person I had some friendly dealings with tell me he knew an older lady who had a 1893-cc BM Morgan that her father or grandfather had gotten many years ago and kept in a jewelry box. She apparently was not a collector but knew it was rare and had no plans to do anything with it.

I'm told that our dear friend Roger, aka RWB, has a huge hoard of 1913 V nickels, but he refuses to put any on the market until their value increases.

Chris :devil:

I have never run into one of these guys.

There was a collector in my area who let me see his collection which contained many Proof sets from the 1930s and early '40s. He had more than I've ever seen in one place.

The closed I've ever seen to a breath taking colleciton of one rarity after another AND in duplicate no less was the Missouri Cabinet collection of half cents. THAT was amazaing, and now a matter of public record, now that it has been auctioned off.

When I was 10 years old in 1960, I was at my uncle's house and my uncle said, I have something to show you. The door has a pad lock and the room was a large walk in closet. In the room was a bunch of 2 lbs Folgers coffee cans that were sitting on the floor. There were about 15 coffee cans and each coffee can was full or Morgan silver dollars. He let me look at the coins in the coffee cans and then he showed me an album full of coins that had each date and mint in the Morgan dollar set. I can still remember thinking that the coins in the album were shinny and new. At that time he said, that these coins were going to be worth a lot of money some day. I remember thinking that the coins were worth a lot of money right now as it was by far the most money at that time that I had seen.

When I got home, I told my father about the coins and all my dad said, "the old guy still has the first dollar he every made". It was the only time that I was shown the coins and my uncle passed away about 30 years ago and I have no idea what happened to the coins.

I don't think that if all the raw coin collections came out of the woodwork that they would make much of a dent in the population figures as most of the world class collections have been certified and bought and sold through auctions.

A hoard cant be slabbed coins ? If I had 1000 1921 Peace $ wouldnt that be a hoard ? Or since the coins are accounted for in a pop report they arent really unknown...

I'm told that our dear friend Roger, aka RWB, has a huge hoard of 1913 V nickels, but he refuses to put any on the market until their value increases.

Don't forget the 1933 Saints also. :devil:

I started going to the bank to get nickel rolls to look for errors. I would look thru them and dump them into and old metal milk can. Then I started to try and fill the can up by just getting nickels. I got to the top and started on a second can. Then I got bored with it and just quit doing it. Still have them. Never will be worth anything but some day someone will says wow what a hoard of nickels. Most of them were from when the 4 different nickels came out. However it was what ever was in the bank rolls.

I started going to the bank to get nickel rolls to look for errors. I would look thru them and dump them into and old metal milk can. Then I started to try and fill the can up by just getting nickels. I got to the top and started on a second can. Then I got bored with it and just quit doing it. Still have them. Never will be worth anything but some day someone will says wow what a hoard of nickels. Most of them were from when the 4 different nickels came out. However it was what ever was in the bank rolls.

You mean the Westward Journey nickels. I have about 18,000 uncirculated in Mint bags & rolls. I don't consider them a hoard, but they are awfully heavy.

Chris

I have no clue how many it is. I think around $2000 worth. I know I can not move the milk can. Not really a hoard as I have read about people with a truck load of pennies.

Hmmm....I'll have to look around for those 1913 nickels and the 1933 DE.....probably in one of the dozens of bank boxes under the sacks of 1796 half eagles. I'll hold 'em until I can get some "real money" for them.

I've had the pleasure of examining a few nice collections that did not have slabbed coins. 2x2, cotton-lined envelopes, felt trays, Capital holders, etc. One had a set of Stella patterns - beautiful! Another had nothing but bags of BU WL halves. Some families like to enjoy what their ancestors did with their time.

There is a lot of material out there that will eventually find a path to market.

Don't forget the 1933 Saints also. :devil:

heard hes got a mason jar full. :gossip:

My grandfather's friend (~95 years old) has a trunk with "Capital-looking" display cases inside. It looks a lot like what Eliasberg stored his collection. I saw it about 15 or so years ago when I didn't know too much about coins. I remember a ton of Morgans and Seated halves. My grandfather has since passed and this man has severe dementia. Hopefully, the collection goes to someone who will appreciate it.