• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does it take to damage a coin slab?

30 posts in this topic

My poorly worded other title got me thinking. How easily are these slabs damaged? If you drop them are they generally ok? Would leaving one in your car on a summer day melt it? Anyone accidentally damage one?

Buy a $5 slabbed coin & find out. I've abused them in plenty of ways. I once left a PCGS slab under the halogens so long the gasket melted & flowed over the coin. Oops. I've deliberately scratched them with nails (easily repaired), tried to crack open by throwing against concrete and put them in the freezer. Here's a hint - they don't like fire. :)

They seem to scratch rather easily...a slab in a auction lot viewing box almost never makes it out without tons of scratches. There is nothing more annoying than trying to look at a coin through those...especially proofs.

jom

The edges are also quite prone to chipping. for both NGC and PCGS slabs, at least the older ones. Some dealers toss these coins around at the shows. Since I don't toss my coins, I've never done it, but I've seen lots of slabs with chipped edges or, on PCGS slabs, breaks in the stacking ridges.

Scratches are the biggest problem, and not all of them can be fixed from what I've seen. I don't known how a previous poster fixed nail scraches that are fairly deep. I've got the headlight cover repair stuff, and it smooths out some things, but not the deep marks.

I have passed on buying a coin because of the condition of the slab. The last time I had a coin re-holdered, PCGS charged me almost $50. That was after I gave the coin to them at a show to be re-holdered and had to pay the return postage only. That charge was way out of line in my opinion. The coin was worth about $1,100. I would not do another re-holder on a coin of that value.

Bolt cutters open them up like butter. ;)

My tool of choice for PCGS slabs is tin snips....just do it in side a trash can, stuff flies everywhere..... :whee:

Scratches are the biggest problem, and not all of them can be fixed from what I've seen. I don't known how a previous poster fixed nail scraches that are fairly deep. I've got the headlight cover repair stuff, and it smooths out some things, but not the deep marks.

Bill,

I posted this ATS a while ago about how to repair badly gouged, scratched, or scuffed slabs.

SEGS slabs can stlll scratch, Breaking them is what is hard to do. They use a softer plastic that is able to absorb more stress or impact.without breaking.

Bill,

I posted this ATS a while ago about how to repair badly gouged, scratched, or scuffed slabs.

ori, that is great thanks for showing I have bookmarked your ATS thread, question, can you do the same thing with an NGC slab - different plastic, if so can you demonstrate it for us?

Best, HT

Bill,

ori, that is great thanks for showing I have bookmarked your ATS thread, question, can you do the same thing with an NGC slab - different plastic, if so can you demonstrate it for us?

Best, HT

I would like to see this too. NGC slabs always give me difficulty when trying to remove scratches from the slab. Even when using plastX and a power tool, I was left with a mess.

Bill,

Best, HT

I would like to see this too. NGC slabs always give me difficulty when trying to remove scratches from the slab. Even when using plastX and a power tool, I was left with a mess.

I'll get on eBay right now and get some cheapie NGC-slabbed coins on the way to play with. I've polished NGC slabs before and it is generally harder to end up with a good result but by no means impossible.

I'll post results within s few days, good or bad. I still have my favorite nail. :)

Bill,

Best, HT

I'll get on eBay right now and get some cheapie NGC-slabbed coins on the way to play with. I've polished NGC slabs before and it is generally harder to end up with a good result but by no means impossible.

I'll post results within s few days, good or bad. I still have my favorite nail. :)

awesome, look forward to seeing your results.

Best, HT

Well now, here's a good question...when a NGC coin gets re-holdered by NGC, do the graders still have to look at the now raw coin before being put into a new slab?

Or do they get to see the label and just concur?

What?

Slabs can be easily abused if not in a stroage box (like NGC slab box) and handled properly. They can scratch easily and PCGS slabs can be chipped - have breaks in stacking ridges. It is expensive to get these reholdered too. It burns me up if an ebay seller sends me a chipped, scratched slab without describing that in the listing.

I will pass on a con if I do not like the slab. I don't see how someone can have a $2500 MS70 Gold Coin and the slab is scratched?

Bill,

Best, HT

The coin arrived today. The slab abuse happened, and was corrected, with some difficulty. I'll post a thread with it all detailed tomorrow when I have a minute.

Here's a teaser:

photo-05_zps18rjnpco.jpg

Well to answer your question in this instance, I guess you just send them through the mail! This is what I received a few weeks ago...

1915_10indian_crackedcase.jpg

This slab was sent in a bubble mailer; however, the mailer didn't show ANY SIGNS OF ABUSE! I guess the major takeaway from this story is... DON'T SHIP AN $800 COIN IN THE SAME TYPE OF ENVELOPE YOU'D SHIP A CIRCULATED MERC DIME IN!

I've ALWAYS shipped slabs in boxes (ie. 300 count boxes designed for sports cards). Your customers/trading partners will thank you later...

CC Rider, so what happened with the coin/slab? Did the seller offer to get it re-holdered?

Did you contact PCGS and ask them to re-holder it for you?

Sorry your NEWP arrived at your door in that condition.

jpcienkus...

Luckily the gentleman that I was trading with had the coin insured, so now the price quote and all pertinent info has been submitted to USPS...

Yes it was quite a shock to see that come out of the mailer like that. I'd like to know what was done to it, since as you can tell from the pic it cracked the info sticker CLEAN OFF!