• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little press on new nickels

11 posts in this topic

Arch, what is extremely interesting to me and probably some others on the boards is the revamp of the Lincoln cent, the possible introduction of a dollar coin featuring every U.S. President and, as Henrietta Fore stated, "We are in a renaissance of coin design........It's a bit of art and history..."

The spectacular increase in the number of collectors spurred by the States Quarters program seems to have awaken Congress from the dead (from a numismatic point of view). Apparently, every denomination will come under scrutiny. Could it be that allegorical figures may yet return to our coinage since the dollar coin is slated for Presidents?

Chris

as Henrietta Fore stated, "We are in a renaissance of coin design........It's a bit of art and history..."

Art? Henrietta apparently hasn't looked at the [#@$%!!!] coming out of the mint if she is calling it art. She needs to look at the mint's coin collection if she wants to see art. Old technology, poor production facilities and materials, and they still blow away what is being produced today.

Could it be that allegorical figures may yet return to our coinage since the dollar coin is slated for Presidents?

No. Too much politics involved for Presidents to be taken off coins and replaced with something as meaningless as liberty, freedom, and justice.

Greg, don't be so pessimistic. Aren't ambassadors supposed to have tact and lie occasionally? Fore didn't say masterpieces of the art world , she said a bit of art . How good it is is another matter, but at least it's a start.

Chris

What the Virginia debacle wasn't enough politics for you? grin.gif

Now they want ALL the Presidents (mostly all dead) for more bad coinage. Great...just great.

Well, it least it's different...maybe we can hope for some nice reverse designs. I don't trust the mint with much but they did do a good job with the Saca dollar, it's metal and toning not withstanding. laugh.gif

jom

What the Virginia debacle wasn't enough politics for you? grin.gif

Now they want ALL the Presidents (mostly all dead) for more bad coinage. Great...just great.

Well, it least it's different...maybe we can hope for some nice reverse designs. I don't trust the mint with much but they did do a good job with the Saca dollar, it's metal and toning not withstanding. laugh.gif

jom

Jom , maybe I'm reading too much between the lines, but if they enact legislation putting Presidents on a circulating dollar, it seems to me that would be an indication that they are considering removing Presidents from other denominations. Then, one should ponder...... what other image could we use on the obverse of those denominations?

Chris

• Administrator

Oh I dunno. I think if we want great coin designs, we had to go through a period of breaking loose from the old designs and "limbering up" so to speak.

The march of the dead presidents on the dollar sounds awful to me. That's what medals are for. Now if the designs of ALL the other denominations were to change simultaneously (perhaps some nice invertebrates on the obverse of our circulating coinage), then I could get behind the idea of the needless, oh, I mean endless procession of presidents on a non-circulating coin. flamed.gif

Hoot

The march of the dead presidents on the dollar sounds awful to me. That's what medals are for.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Come on now, you can't hide your excitement about the thought of having a circulating coin with Benjamin Harrison, or Rutherford Hayes, or Franklin Pierce on it.

The march of the dead presidents on the dollar sounds awful to me. That's what medals are for.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Come on now, you can't hide your excitement about the thought of having a circulating coin with Benjamin Harrison, or Rutherford Hayes, or Franklin Pierce on it.

laugh.gif

yeahok.gif

perhaps some nice invertebrates on the obverse of our circulating coinage

What?! You want to add Congressmen now too?! C'mon! 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif

Rutherford Hayes

That's Rutherford "B" Hayes to you, bub. yeahok.gif

jom