• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A King's Ransom hits 50 coins

6 posts in this topic

Just added the 50th coin to my A King's Ransom custom set.

The set is basically a type set for international bullion coins. The set now includes 50 coins from nine different countries. The 50th coin, added today, is the 1988 Australian Nugget gold $100 proof.

The Australian Nugget is one of the few gold bullion coins that change design each year. For the first few years, various large gold nuggets found within Australia were depicted, by shape and name, on the reverse. But in 1989 the Perth Mint began depicting various kangaroos on the reverse, a tradition that continues today.

The "Pride of Australia" (depicted on the 1oz 1988 coin, pictured below) is the second largest gold nugget found by metal detecting in Australia so far. It was discovered in 1981 and weighed 256 ounces.

It was purchased by the State Bank of Victoria in 1985 for $250,000. The nugget was on display at the Museum Victoria until it was stolen in a smash and grab robbery in August 1991. Its fate is unknown, but it was most likely melted.

While these coins depict kangaroos currently, they are still most often referred to as Australian Nuggets, though some do now call them "gold kangaroos".

16894.jpg

See more journals by Alan Lastufka

Thanks guys, it's been a fun set to get started this year, and has taught me quite a bit about mints beyond the US, which I hadn't paid too much attention to before. (aside from the Canadian mint, my dad was a huge fan of their gold commems when I was growing up, so I was definitely aware of their stuff)