• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm presently using a HP all in one scanner for the coin images ....

10 posts in this topic

With few problems. The images have been great.

Now, I'm having problems scanning one very bright gold coin. The scan doesn't highlight the golden glitter that the coin demonstrates. The light reflects and dulls the image of the coin.

Does anyone have a suggestion about how to obtain a more true image for a very bright coin?

A suggestion, yes, but it involves a photography setup. I have no experience with scanners. I'm actually quite surprised by how good some of them can be, on occasion. It's very hard for a scanner to accurately pick up the way light plays off of lustrous surfaces. Circulated coins seem to lend themselves to scanners a little better.

Scanners have that limitation. Silver and copper coins appear washed out and scanned gold luster seems non existent.

You might try in a 2x2 vs out (not the kind that staples). If that doesn't do it try scanning with the top open. Beyond that, photos may be your only other option unless you can edit after the fact to make a scan look more realistic.

...I think you mean "behind" the coin so that the background is black, not white...?

Also try rotating the coin so the light strikes the relief differently.

I use only scanners to list coins, quality of image can vary quite a bit. You can set them for 48 bit color and over 1200 dpi, but I don't see a huge improvement in quality sometimes actually a decrease. I also have a Fujifilm camera with a macro setting, you need a super macro I understand to get real quality.

With few problems. The images have been great.

Now, I'm having problems scanning one very bright gold coin. The scan doesn't highlight the golden glitter that the coin demonstrates. The light reflects and dulls the image of the coin.

Does anyone have a suggestion about how to obtain a more true image for a very bright coin?

The black paper idea might work. Also, try propping the coin up at 20-30 degree angle to the scanning bed. This will change the angle at which the light bounces.

Focus might be a problem if the coin is not parallel to the scanning bed. These things weren't designed for 3-dimensional material.