• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1824 Half Dollar Question

6 posts in this topic

I recently purchased an 1824 Capped Bust Half Dollar as a 1824 over 4 variety on ebay. Once it arrived I found that the entire date has been over-punched. I have tried finding any reference to this but cannot find anything. The coin is a low grade G-VG so I am wondering if it is worth sending in for professional grading and if it is a new variety ?

I have added a photo for your review but it does not do justice to the coin as I do not have a good close-up on my camera. I also added the arrows to point out the over-punched area's.

What do you think ?

157859.jpg.b44956372481155388b7f84f1538be27.jpg

It looks like the date for the O-110, which is the 1824/4, but unless we see the whole coin for the complete diagnostics, that is just a best guess based on what you've shown (the photo of the date in Overton's third edition makes it appear like all digits in the date were recut, similar to yours). On the reverse, the AME should be joined at the base, the right stand of M should be recut. Other reverse diagnostics include a vertical line at the right side of O in OF and a die defect lump in the field between the eagle's head and the UN in the scroll.

Hope this helps.

I can't really tell from the pics, but it may be machine doubling.

In any event, details on the variety are here with big pics, and there are two, the O-109 and O-110

O-109

O-110

I recently purchased an 1824 Capped Bust Half Dollar as a 1824 over 4 variety on ebay. Once it arrived I found that the entire date has been over-punched. I have tried finding any reference to this but cannot find anything. The coin is a low grade G-VG so I am wondering if it is worth sending in for professional grading and if it is a new variety ?

I have added a photo for your review but it does not do justice to the coin as I do not have a good close-up on my camera. I also added the arrows to point out the over-punched area's.

What do you think ?

What you are seeing below the date is more likely "pull-away toning" than machine doubling (pull-away toning is actually not toning, but it can affect the pattern of toning). It happens when the metal next to an element near the rim stretches and creates this shadow-like effect in the field, butted up against the digits. It's essentially a form of die fatigue doubling.

Also, this does not seem to be 1824/4, O-109 or O-110. Both show the top corner of the under-digit 4, and I do not see that here.