• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We've all been here

12 posts in this topic

I clipped this half out of a 1956 Proof Set this morning. This rather ugly skin is the result of 60 years in the cello. What would you do to restore it to it's former beauty? It's the very rare type 1 variety.

301_zpsmxppygxu.jpg[/img]

302_zpsmqexxfjx.jpg[/img]

You can try dipping it, but don't be surprised if it turns out cloudy.

It's been my experience that the mint cello is not the problem. The problems come from storing Proof sets in dumb places, like your attic where the temperature reaches 900 degrees. :tonofbricks:

Yes, the cellophane is not the culprit, but rather, the heat, humidity, dirt from the minting process, and sulfurous compounds, all of which have been reacting with the surfaces, are to blame.

The first step is to soak it in denatured alcohol or acetone to get the excessive/lose resides off and get a better look at the surfaces. Based on the rough grade of the coin, you may wish to send it for conservation at NCS and grading at NGC. If you are not experienced, you may wish to lot NCS do all the work.

This does not look like a dip candidate. A coin like this can be drastically improved through conservation, but probably not turned white. This coin has darker patina streaks that probably will almost certainly show etching, if dipped.

"... like your attic where the temperature reaches 900 degrees."

Did you ever read "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury? Car to revise the temperature of your attic on a summer day?

As coinman1794 implies, cellophane is not impervious to gases commonly found in the environment.

Hyperbole RWB, hyperbole.

And if you live in Florida in summer, your don't care F 451 or 900, you will not last long.

I have seen "cooked" $5 commemative gold coins here.

Send it to NCS... they will have it 100% blast white, and looking great in no time. Absolutely savable. That doesn't mean it will grade well but no matter what it grades it will be better and more likable than it is now

where the temperature reaches 900 degrees. :tonofbricks:

My attic gets up to 940 degrees !!!

Paul

Rebuild your roof with vented soffit under a 2' overhang, a vented peak and 6/12 pitch. I live in South Florida, and my attic never went over 150 degrees. It's still too hot for coins, though.

Chris

First of all I believe all of these proof coins in the cello should be cut out and put in more acceptable holders for both safety and viewability. I prefer non PVC flips. I have heard these old USM packaging material have PVC.

I would definitely be inclined to dip your coin but skeptical the result would be postitive. If your feel the value is material enough why not consult NCS I think it would worth be paying the money just to c how it comes out. If you do, a before and after thread would be very educational for the forum.

As it is its certainly unacceptable for me - heat, humidity, PVC, toxic packaging materials can really do ugly things to coins.

Well, the coin has to be saved. It's just too rare to let the ravages of time do their thing. Accordingly, the coin went out today to NCS. I think if the coin cleans up there's no reason why it doesn't end up in an NGC PF 66 or Pf 67 holder (on a very good day).

When it get's back I'll follow up with this thread to let you guys know the final chapter.

I look forward to seeing what NCS can do with it. I've seen some pretty incredible conservation jobs from them.

Yes! I'd love to see the side-by-side results, too.

Chris